Started my first build...a mahogany 000 w 12 fret neck

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
jeffrodite

Started my first build...a mahogany 000 w 12 fret neck

Post by jeffrodite »

Started this build a while back, but took a detour to build a bunch of tools/clamps/jigs/, now back on track. It is a mahogany 14-fret 000 size body w a 12-fret neck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jeffrodite on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffrodite

Re: Moving right along...slowly but surely

Post by jeffrodite »

Bracing the back and starting to close the box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jeffrodite on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

Attaching the top was certainly the most nervous point of the build. Not really all that sure why, but seemed to turn out just fine. Would have liked to have used radius dishes, but made do w scraps.
Last edited by jeffrodite on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

My lovely girlfriend scraping the rosette. She's using the Carruth scraper that I bought from Stew Mac, and the thing was well worth the money.
Last edited by jeffrodite on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

Here is the guitar all bound. I opted to not go w/any purfling at all, for no other reason than I really like the simple look of just using the binding. In the process of making the ebony bridge now. Z-Poxy is next on the list...to be continued.
ColestineGuitar

Re: Started my first build...a mahogany 000 w 12 fret neck

Post by ColestineGuitar »

You've gotten a lot done! Looks like good work, too. My own first build has progressed so slowly that I'm too embarrassed to document it.

Keep us posted.
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

I really like the "binding only" approach... Didn't even think of that one. I might just have to follow your lead on my build. Thank you and nice work.

Sincerely,
Rich
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

Just applied my second coat of z poxy, will post pics later on. Thanks for the positive feedback!
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

Here are some of the 1st coat of z poxy. Look at how much it made the grain jump out. 2nd coat is all dried now and ready to be sanded. Kind of unsure as to what kind of finish I should use. I dont have a sprayer, so I was thinking of using KTM9 and brushing it on. Any advice on whats next
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

I have brushed on KTM-9 on three guitars so far. It's not so bad to do. I followed the schedule provided for brush on application at LMI. I think you can get a quality finish with this method but it does take patience and practice. I have used the cheap foam brushes, like you find at a craft store, with success. Spray equipment is expensive and I'd like to get there some day, but this will work for now. I'm about to try french polish on a bass ukulele for another option without spray equipment. I've also thought about using Bhelens rattle can lacquer, but it is kind of expensive.
kyle