Started my first build...a mahogany 000 w 12 fret neck

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
jeffrodite

Re: Started my first build...a mahogany 000 w 12 fret neck

Post by jeffrodite »

Ktm9 it is. Have you ever added a slight bit of toner?
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

I've never added any toner. I don't have much finishing experience and prefer to keep things as simple as possible, although I'm sure there is not much to it.
kyle
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

I've seen many lackluster, one-dimensional mahogany guitars, but that wood you've used is very fine. Now I'm thinking mahogany for a future build.

I hope you keep us posted regarding how well the Z-poxy works for you, i.e. how many pores you find not filled as your finish progresses. How are you sanding, by hand?
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

Yup, sanding by hand(although I am placing a pc of sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood between my hand and the guitar, as I do not think that my hand alone is abrasive enough).
As far as the look of the mahogany: I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the grain looks. Just a little bummed though, as I really can't get a finish on it until either the weather warms up OR a free heater jumps into my garage...
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

My shop is awful cold now, too. When it comes time to finish, however, I will be doing french polish on this first one. A great thing about FP is that it's non-toxic and even non-stinky! We (my brother and I) went all-natural, using grain alcohol instead of denatured alcohol. I will be able to do finish work in the house!

However, I watch your process with great interest, especially with regard to finishing.
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

You have done a great job Jeff! The guitar looks great.

You might consider the wipe-on finish from PolyWhey. It self levels nice. Will take more coats of a wipe-on since it's thinner but it's a good option for a hand application as it never gets that far off level. I called asking about the PolyWhey finishes and they sent me a free sample of the wipe-on version which is more clear than the regular version which has a bit of yellowish tint (not much, but a little). Just a thought.
Slacker......
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

I will absolutely give it a look and see what it's all about. Where'd you get it?
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Vermont Natural Coatings

http://www.vermontnaturalcoatings.com/made-green/

I've not yet used it. Some folks have and like it. It's fairly new so make your own decision as I can't recommend it based on personal experience. I have some on-hand to test and may use it myself.
Slacker......
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

Haven't really done too much lately, aside from my final coat of the Z-Poxy. Here's a couple shots of it, and will be starting finish in the next week or so. The one shot is of it hanging drying in my sons bedroom. Think its about time that it got cleaned....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Wow, that looks great for just doing pore filling so far. I'm taking notes as I'm finally at this stage after 2-1/2 years in.
~ Neil