An EIR Dred in the D45 tradition.....

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: An EIR Dred in the D45 tradition.....

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ah yes, the next guitar.
I have another dred lined up for another pastor in England, but it will not need to be delivered until next summer probably, so.....
I have a wood lathe I bought last fall that has not yet been used, and my wife wants turn wood, so we may work on that a little bit, but probably not until the temperatures come down a bit.
The next guitar is another EIR Dred with carpatian spruce top. We haven't nailed down the bindings or the color of frets and tuneing machines yet, but it will have abalone purflings, madagascar rosewood fretboard and bridge, and a passive JJB Artist pickup system installed too. I have a billet of Sapele I want to get cut up, so that will most likely be the very next project. I need to make a couple of tall fences for the bandsaw so I can do the resawing. Beautiful piece of wood.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

The neck is pore filled.
The spray booth goes up this evening! Yah!

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Got the booth up, rose at 5am this morning so I could spray before it gets hot, and before I went to work. I got 2 coats of vinyl sealer on. The colors look great. I'm excited.
I'll examine tonight, and then Saturday morning I'll get up early and spray 3 to 4 coats before the temps get over 85 degrees.

Kevin
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Getting really close, Kevin. And I know what you mean about the hot temps. That's the only regret I have about our moving back to Texas. Humid and Hot all summer long. As much as I hate to get up in the mornings on a weekend, your idea is something for me to file away as I get to that point.
Keep 'er going!
Kevin Sjostrand

In the booth.............

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Sprayed 3 coats of lacquer this morning, about 14oz, nice wet coats, and it is looking real nice. After the second coat I could see some small voids around the abalone rosette (I didn't back fill this abalone with superglue like I did the purflings which seals it all really nicely). I thought I'd have to do some drop filling, but after the third coat, they are all just about filled so I'll keep spraying at this point, I think I'll be alright.
Hope to get three more coats in the morning before church.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Got up late, so only got two coats sprayed this morning.
This afternoon I did a little sanding to check level, and it looks really good. I didn't try to sand away the orange peel at this time.
Five coats so far so I'll spray a few more this week and see how it looks. I've put on about 20oz of lacquer so far.
I'm going to try and get up early enough to spray two coats tomorrow morning.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Two more coats this morning, and there are still some grain lines showing on the top...you know those areas where the lacquer just sinks in....
I sanded the area in front of the bridge that had some of these showing, and got it flat and dull, and I cannot see or feel these lines, so I think they are filled, but show up when the fresh lacquer goes down. At first I thought they were scratches, but there is just no way as I sanded this top to 240 grit with plenty of sanding to remove any previous grits even before I inlaid the rosette, then more sanding.
I will spray two more coats in the morning, that will make 9, and then tomorrow evening level sand the whole guitar to a dull finish, then do another two on Wednesday morning, and probably follow up with a mist of thinner on Thursday, then see what I've got. I'm hoping that will do it.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

How long are you going to wait after spraying to polish it out? I have been edging toward spraying my next SS with nitro.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Kevin, really nice. I'm with John, how long do you think you'll wait for it to cure?
Also, what consistency did you use on the Timbermate?