An EIR Dred in the D45 tradition.....

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: An EIR Dred in the D45 tradition.....

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I put 2 more coats on this morning, almost 10 ounces of lacquer. I must have plenty of lacquer on this thing.
Now to take some off. Tonight I'm going to completely level sand it and do one final inspection, and go from there. I'm bugged that I have some sinker areas still around the rosette. I may still need to drop fill those but they may level off too.

John, I'm going to wait 3 weeks after that final coat. I've found in the heat that this guitar will sit in while curing 3 weeks is plenty.

Bob, I mixed the Timbermate to where it would just run off the end of a popsicle stick. It flows into the pores an starts drying pretty quickly. I did 3 applications, but the pores were probably filled after two. I really like how easy it is to work, and the results look great.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Put a small amount of the lacquer in an open container and let it thicken. You can use it to drop fill dimples near the rosette or the bindings that you have missed.

When I drop fill, I go back with a straight edge razor to level the drop. I round the corner on the blades edges and tape just one side of the razor edge. I use the untaped side to level the fill. Mostly I have read that people tape both sides of the blades level to the thickness of the tape and finish with sand paper. I have started to avoid sand paper for isolated areas and would rather use an edge. I have sanded a dip so often in a finish. I tape the far end so I do not have to worry about it.
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks John for the technique. I have read this as well, and usually go at it with the sanding block, not this time. I'm sure I'll need to start doing some filling tonight.
After my second coat this morning, my eyes bugged out when I saw a piece of lint, or maybe a bug right on the top about where the pick guard will go. In my booth too.
I'll get a good look at it tonight

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

I sanded back flat again last night, and this morning sprayed one more heavy coat of unthinned lacquer, then an hour later sprayed a final 30% thinned leveling coat to finish off. I was thinking about going with just thinner, but I chickened out.
It looks really good so I think I'm done spraying. I'll check it tonight and then know for sure.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

I was not done spraying.........
I sprayed two more coats yesterday morning, and two more last night,
then this morning one more full coat, and then an 50/50 thinned coat to flow out the surface.
Now it looks very good with all voids filled, so I am now done.
Time to let it sit for 3 weeks.
I have some other projects to work on while the finish cures on this guitar, so I will not start the next guitar for a little while, but will finish this one up the end of the month.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have never been able to wait the three weeks. Luckily target only asks for a bit less than a week for EM6000. Looking at the last picture that guitar will turn out great and there will be no low spot.
Kevin Sjostrand

Alright!
My 3 weeks wait was up Saturday. After a weekend at the cabin, I started wet sanding this afternoon. This time I'm starting out with 800 grit instead of 600. It is slower on the initial leveling to flat with no shiny spots, but I just thought I'd try it this time. I like the results.
You could probably start polishing at this point. I have 1000 and 1500 grit waiting, so I'll go through these grits before the polishing stage.
The finish is quite hard and is sanding nicely and is not clogging my paper much. It will take me all week to do all the wet sanding, and then hopefully polish on Saturday, glue on the bridge, make the nut and saddle and have it strung up by the end of Labor Day!
We shall see!

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Almost there..........
I have a little fit issue at the neck/body join on one side right at the binding and fretboard extension..a little gap to try and tighten up. The finish came out pretty good. Always some little things show up, but overall I'm pretty pleased.
Still have the machines to install, then I can work on the nut and saddle and get some strings on it, probably this Sat.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

a couple more.............

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Kevin,

The finish work and of course the guitar looks great. Very nice!