Starting my Martin Dreadnought Christmas present build...

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Darryl Young

Re: Starting my Martin Dreadnought Christmas present build..

Post by Darryl Young »

Is it a bolt-on neck or mortise and tenon?
Slacker......
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello John and Darryl.
Thanks for the answers and comments. I watched your neck setting videos with my son Willie and I think we are ready... I am getting chalk on the way home from work. Will be working on it this evening. As a matter of fact, we were recently on the Martin tour and I watched a woman (in amazement) set up a neck joint in two adjustments! In the time it took us to mosey on by her station (3-4 minutes) she had it done. Using a chisel too... Bang the neck on (1 hit), put the jig on, look, bang the neck off, swipe, swipe, chisel here, flip swipe, chisel there, re-insert neck, bang, jig on, look, bang, neck off, chisel swipe there, bang, neck on, jig on, look... done.
Darryl, I think it is both actually. it looks and acts like a dove tail (the way I am going with it) but the neck does have a heli-coil type insert and there is an indent on the neck block to drill a hole. Wish me luck and thanks again.

Sincerely,
Rich
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All,
Here is a "tool" I made to press frets into the finger board with the use of my drill press. I got the idea from a tool on Stew Mac. I did a few frets on a practice fingerboard and it seems to work very well. What is your opinion, thought or experience... I am pressing "perfect" frets into a "perfect" "Richlite" finger board. The few I did seem "perfect"... Could I possibly end up with a "perfect" finger board with no need to level it? That would be nice huh?... Some how I don't think so though. The three I did seem to not need leveling, and it is just a practice board. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

No matter how good they look I always seem to need to level them. Nice tool btw.
Tim Benware
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Very good Rich. Make use of what you have, throw in some ingenuinty, and man can do anything.
Perfect? Well I hope so, but you probably should still plan to level as the fret wire itself is not perfectly the same.

Kevin
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Thanks Kevin and Tim.
You guys are correct... I moved onto the "real" fingerboard and put in maybe the first eight or so frets (starting at the guitar body end) and already, I can detect a high fret with the straight edge, "rocker" test. O-well, that is the difference between an idea and empirical data. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Rich
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
Here are the pictures I promised (a day late, sorry...) in my "Binding" thread. Curly Maple binding I wet, slowly bent to form with tape, let dry overnight and glued in place the next day. Onto the top next. Thanks for all the help and interest.

Sincerely,
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

It is looking great!
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
Here are some shots of the finishing process... I am going straight Tru-Oil. A coat or two of the slurry method. Then just a few coats of Tru-Oil. I knock it down every coat or two with 0000 steel wool. I plan on going several to many more coats. I know it is not even close to what you guys do but I am pretty happy with it so far. Thanks for the help and support as usual and I will keep you posted.

Sincerely,
Rich
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Your guitar is really looking good. I would be very happy with it.