Starting my Martin Dreadnought Christmas present build...

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
justrfb

Re: Starting my Martin Dreadnought Christmas present build..

Post by justrfb »

Hello again...
Thank you for your answers and suggestions... I glued the neck block tonight and while I think it is almost "perfect" as far as square and center, it is a little too high with reference to the top of the rim. Am I in really bad trouble or is it not going to be too bad? It is about .125 over the rim edge. What do you think please... Thanks.

Sincerely,
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Rich,
Your neck block position depends on a few factors.
1. Are your sides already profiled to the correct height?
2. It looks like a bolt on mortise and tenon neck. Are there pre drilled holes in the block to line up with your neck, and how does that fit with where you've placed the block? If you leave it as is and shave down the top of the block, will your neck still be in the correct position?

From a glance, I would say perhaps you should have split the difference of the extra height of the block as you will want to have some extra on both sides for the radius you will be imposing onto the top and bottom of the block, which about a 1/16" will give you.

Some things to think about. You can always unglue and reposition your block.

Kevin
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions Kevin. I appreciate them... Looking at it more and considering all said, I am going to leave the neck block be (not un and re glue) because like I mentioned, I got lucky as it is centered and squared very well. I will work the neck joint when the time comes. Did some kerfing tonight...

Sincerely,
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All,
Finished the kerfing and glued in the side, vertical pieces that function to stop a side split and compression top to bottom. Joined the back pieces and made the back bracing caul. Need some clamps now... Started to glue on the center bracing and didn't clamp it right so I had to pull out my Mono-Kote iron from my RC plane building days and iron it off... Thanks to this site and the people on it for giving me the know-how to do such a thing. Worked like a charm. Will post some more pictures soon...

Sincerely,
Rich
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
Finally got all my clamps. Made my bottom brace glue caul (sp?) in the mean time... Wow! Ive seen many bottoms all glued and clamped up with seemingly little trouble. I glued one brace on and all kinds of things were happening... Clamps falling over, brace off center and moving, I was starting to sweat because the glue was skinning over... I think I finally got it though... I am really enjoying this coming off of building RC airplanes. Just as much time and work to build but unlike a guitar, they 99% of the time ended up being "post hole diggers," returning back to kit form. Thanks for all the help and words on this forum. You are all awesome.

Sincerely,
Rich
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Enjoying your posts.

You might consider using a go-bar deck. Its cheaper than buying a bunch of clamps. Instead of a deck, you can lay the work on a table and brace against the ceiling or lay the work on the floor and brace underneath a table or whatever you have on-hand.
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Keep a go'in Rich. Before you know it you'll be stringin her up.

Kevin
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Thanks guys... Darryl, I did consider a go-bar deck but time, money and most important, shop space held me back. I may still go for one in the future because like I have mentioned, this is really an awesome adventure. It was special to see a plane take flight but I was always waiting for the day it hits the ground. I can't wait to see my son Willie play this guitar with very little chance of being completely destroyed if it hits the ground.
I am thinking about putting in the JJB VTB-200 pickup system in it as I am building. Any thoughts please?...

Sincerely,
Rich
Kevin Sjostrand

Rich,
I have used the JJB Artist 3 Transducer pickup in 3 guitars and it works very well. Basically a copy of the K & K Mini only it is passive.
It makes your guitar sound like your guitar only louder, and the price is awesome.
Jesse, the owner is a great guy and he'll work with you if you want something custom too.

Kevin
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello Kevin,
Thanks. I am going to be ordering soon from JJB and I am going to go for the end pin jack option. Thanks for your words too, It does feel like I am moving right along but I know I still have a long way to go. I will be posting some more pictures tonight. Currently gluing the top braces... Onward.

Sincerely,
Rich