Martin Style 00 12 fret guitar now with strings!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: Starting Martin Style 00 12 fret guitar.

Post by johnnparchem »

I finished the construction of the 00 today and am ready to finish sand. The last step was to make my hawk in the harvest moon logo. While I use the same template I have been changing the way I make it. Mostly I have used shell for the moon and the hawk and ebony for the branch. I tried and liked an all shell white MOP for the moon and one black MOP piece for the hawk and the branch. This time I made the hawk and the branch out of ebony. This may be a keeper.

To complete the blog I am showing a series of pictures of how I make the logo. Hard to show in the pictures but this worth noting, to cut the pearl I used 000 heavy metal cutting blades from Germany. The pearl cut like a dream; cutting way easier than the 000 LMI or Stewmac blades I had.

Here is my setup, note the pond aquarium pump, cutting requires that you can see, these pumps are noisy but having a clean line to see make all of the difference. I am sort of blind up close so I use a combination of 2.5 reading glass with a visor I got from stewmac.

I had a fret board that I started cutting from slot one instead of the nut, so I set up the band saw and sliced a shell thickness veneer (a bit proud) for the hawk and branch. I glue a template I made in photo shop from a picture and cut away

I do the same with some nice white MOP gluing on the template with CA. Cutting a clean circle is harder than one might imagine. I am getting better but as you are slowly going around you need to pay attention. It is really easy to get off the line.

After cutting the circle I cut out the top and the bottom sections of the moon. Not shown, I held the whole thing together bottom side on wax paper and flooded with CA.

I mounted it in a 1" drilled out circle with the template paper still on and again flooded with CA. After that I was able to finish sand the head stock until the inlay was level. Of course I was not perfect so I went back and marked the small gaps with a black sharpie and willed them with even more CA.

Last edited by johnnparchem on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Martin Style 00 12 fret guitar is ready for finish sandi

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Super John. The inlay turned out great.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks Kevin. Here one of the steps I live for; only second to the first strum. The first coat of zpoxy.

Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Very nice John!

Am I the only one that sees the irony in a hawk perched overlooking swallows on the fretboard?

I have purple martin houses in my back yard (the PM is largest NA swallow) and have had about 60 pair nest the last several years. Each year I have problems with Coopers hawks going after the martins. They only feed on other flying birds. It's especially bad when the baby martins are fledging. They can't fly well and the Coopers hawks pick them off easily (as do Sharp Shinned hawks). Owls love to eat martins at night; in fact, some folks call martin houses owl feeder stations. Owls are silent and deadly killers. Once they learn they can fly up to a martin house in the dark, beat the house with their wings while hovering, and grab a martin with their claws as it exits the entrance hole of the nest........you can't stop them. The owl will come every night to feed till the martins dwindle down and abandon the site. Luckily, owls are more of a problem in more rural settings (I fight Coopers hawks).
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Darryl Young wrote:Very nice John!

Am I the only one that sees the irony in a hawk perched overlooking swallows on the fretboard?

I have purple martin houses in my back yard (the PM is largest NA swallow) and have had about 60 pair nest the last several years. Each year I have problems with Coopers hawks going after the martins. They only feed on other flying birds. It's especially bad when the baby martins are fledging. They can't fly well and the Coopers hawks pick them off easily (as do Sharp Shinned hawks). Owls love to eat martins at night; in fact, some folks call martin houses owl feeder stations. Owls are silent and deadly killers. Once they learn they can fly up to a martin house in the dark, beat the house with their wings while hovering, and grab a martin with their claws as it exits the entrance hole of the nest........you can't stop them. The owl will come every night to feed till the martins dwindle down and abandon the site. Luckily, owls are more of a problem in more rural settings (I fight Coopers hawks).

Not even I saw that. My niece picked out the swallows for the fret board. We lived with a couple of resident owls. They mostly hunted at night, but every now and then we would see them pickup a quale chick in the evening. Watching the quale every year I came to the collusion that their purpose in life was to raise chicks for the rest of the animals. The owls are amazingly quiet when they are swooping in for the kill.
Legolas

Post by Legolas »

John that grain pops like crazy! What a nice looking piece of wood....
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Judging by the cloth under the body you most likely already know to beware that little back rubber mat. I had one like that......left marks in the back of a body I was working on, before the finish. Had to scrape and sand pretty good to get that cross pattern out. Not very lacquer friendly either evidently. Don't even have one in the shop no more. Oh yes almost forgot, looking very sharp.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

You are right about the mat I ran into it with a violin. That was a real pain as I had a sunburst pattern using some spirit varnish. I should get rid of it as well.

Thanks,

John
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Ha, I have the same mat.......and had the same issues.
Slacker......
CavalierKingCharles

Post by CavalierKingCharles »

Beautiful!

SA