MS D-18

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Ben-Had

Re: MS D-18

Post by Ben-Had »

OK, I finished my spraying schedule tonight and everything looks great. Now I will let it cure for 6 days (about 150 hours) and complete the final assembly steps next weekend. SO...................

Now it's time to clean the gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I'm interested in how you remove rt he tape.......do you somehow sand through the finish then pull the tape or what? Seems just pulling tape with finish still intact with finish on the body isn't a good idea.
Slacker......
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

It's slightly under sized from the bridge footprint. I lift a corner with an exacto blade and carefully peel it off. Then I carefully scape where the bridge will go. Pics coming soon.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

OK, time to level sand the finish. First I remove the mask, then level sand with 3M Fre-cut Gold 800 grit and then the series of Micro Mesh soft pads before buffing out. The finish has had 2 weeks to cure a week longer than usual but I had some pretty intense repair jobs the last 2 weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Finished the wet sanding and buffing.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

And here's the body all shined up. Glue that neck on tomorrow.
Tim Benware
rienk

Post by rienk »

Ben-Had wrote:And here's the body all shined up. Glue that neck on tomorrow.
Since you are buffing before the bridge is on, I assume you're getting some compound on the bridge mounting area. How are you going to clean that area off, prior to gluing on the bridge?

Are you going to use the vacuum press ideas from the other thread?
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

A little, I scrape it lightly with a 1/2" chisel. Not going to vacuum press it, I have to build the caul first and won't get to it for a couple weeks.
Tim Benware
rienk

Post by rienk »

Ben-Had wrote:A little, I scrape it lightly with a 1/2" chisel. Not going to vacuum press it, I have to build the caul first and won't get to it for a couple weeks.
Which caul are you referring to?
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

rienk wrote:
Ben-Had wrote:A little, I scrape it lightly with a 1/2" chisel. Not going to vacuum press it, I have to build the caul first and won't get to it for a couple weeks.
Which caul are you referring to?
I should have more properly refereed to it a a vacuum bridge clamp instead of a caul.
Tim Benware