MS D-18

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Ben-Had

Re: MS D-18

Post by Ben-Had »

Time to rock the frets. The only high spots I found ended up being in the middle of the frets on 10, 11 and 12. A couple quick passes with the fret file, polish with 320 and 600. then on to the rest of the polishing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Finishing up the frets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Go slow when you're reaming out the end pin hole. Even a quarter turn done aggressively can take too much wood out and leave the hole too loose. You want a snug fit, not too tight to too loose.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

The bridge pins holes will need to be reamed out. These are Martin pins and have a 5 degree angle. My bridge pin reamer is the cut-off of a Nicholson mill file (handle end) that has a perfect 5 degree angle to it. I sharpened one of the sides and it reams the holes out nicely. Forgot where I got this tip from but it works great. One day I'll make a handle for it to make the turning a little easier.

Each pin has slight differences in size and the holes are reamed to match. therefore each pin should be kept with its respective hole. This is a nice ebony set with white MOP dots.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Time to make the saddle.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I like my little cut-off saw. It works great.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Flattening the saddle bottom. I sand the saddle up against the 1-2-3 block.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Now I move on the thicknessing the saddle on my Luthier's Friend sanding station. I'll check my progress as I go until I close in on the .093 slot width.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

When I get to within about .005" above my target I'll finish up by hand smoothing out the grit marks on 150, 220 and 320. Then polish it with 600.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Then i radius the saddle. This is a Martin Style so I'm using a 16" radius. I mark the bass side 1/32" higher than the treble side, this will make the bass side 1/64" higher than the treble at the 12th fret.
Tim Benware