Rosie (Rosewood Martin D kit)

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: Rosie (Rosewood Martin D kit)

Post by johnnparchem »

Yikes! That should glue cleanly. Did the router catch the grain and pull that out? If so make sure you are allways cutting from the wider part of the bouts toward the narrower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the way that tore out appears the glue joint may not have been as good as it could be. That rubber band method doesn't apply enough pressure. You need 8 to 10 lbs of clamp force. Next time use cording , that may help.
Now you do have to be careful routing. Have you seen the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cwJiOVzE_E that will show the rout pass. There is a way to rout the binding to lessen the tearout risk. Use a combination of climb and rout. The weak point is the area of the apex of the bouts. In the weak area you use climb cutting but be careful to nibble . It is a learning curve for sure.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

As john mentioned, half of the routing must be done in a climb cut to avoid tearout like that. I would like to add to be careful when using a climb cut technique. The tool and the work must both be held securely, that router is going to try and run away or throw the work on the climb cuts. This can cause damage to the project as well as injuries. Over the years I have seen more injuries from routers than any other power tool, so think safety first.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tnt2002

Post by tnt2002 »

Guess it's been a while.

I've made some progress. Here's the top with the binding channels routed out.
20121209_150834.jpg
Tail Wedge
20121210_074549.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tnt2002

Post by tnt2002 »

Since the herringbone is wood, I attached that first, using wood glue.
20121212_081926.jpg
and then later added the white plastic with weld-on
20121214_205301.jpg
The back, with purfling was glued in together.
20121219_181942.jpg
tnt2002

Post by tnt2002 »

Used pumice for grain filling. I probably wont do that again, but I had to try it. I had a lot of trouble with the pumice/shellac getting all gummy, and bunching up and trying to spread it around, it just wouldn't dissolve or move.

here's the guitar after the filling.
20121222_161318.jpg
Here it is after the first bodying session. The left upper bout is unfinished in this pic for contrast.
20121224_091234.jpg
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Wow! That's looking really good! I'm glad you worked through the problems with the rosette and binding. I'm having similar issues with my first but am taking things very slowly compared to you!

BTW, I love that rosewood set you have! I have a set of EIR that has similar qualities and I'm looking to build a rosewood dread with it as well. I'm afraid of doing herringbone purfling though. How hard was it to bend?
~ Neil
tnt2002

Post by tnt2002 »

The herringbone purfling was pre-bent, so it was a breeze, it was still pretty pliable. It was much easier than plastic purfling.