1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
BEJ

1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Post by BEJ »

After checking out this forum for a few months it seems time to step up to the plate and get a build started

I've been interested in acoustic guitars for a while, interest got started with a 3 part series Grit Laskin wrote for Fine Woodworking magazine (issues #67/NovDec 1987, #69 MarApr 1988, and #82 Jun 1990. But like alot of things I never did anything concrete at the time. Laskin mentioned Cumpiano and Nateelsons' book "Guitarmaking" and I bought it a few months later but never build anything. Ran across Jonathan Kinkeads' book "Build your own Acoustic Guitar" at a second had store and bought it a few years ago, but again didn't do anything with it. Always thought I would and at last have arrived here from a mention on the AGF site. Seems like it is time to get it done or get it out of my system.

I've been along time woodworker, which could mean I might just know enough to really screw up a guitar build, and have a fair shop area and tools. After reading/viewing thread after thread here and on the AGF site I've got a good kick in the butt to get going, thanks to all the great builds on the sites, OMG what talent!

Have had some different hardwoods around my shop taking up space that need a higher purpose. Have had a great piece of Makore that has been here for about 5-6 years, not really sure why I bought it except as I was walking through Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle it spoke to me, buy me buy me! And I'm a sucker for a nice piece of wood. Same damm thing happened to me again 2-3 years ago with a piece of cocobolo so black it looked like ebony, it spoke and I bought, I got to start walking through that place with a list and blinders on!

The result of these woods looking to be useful rather than just good looking is sort of a kit to build a guitar. I added some pieces of sapele that I have left from a dining room table I'm making and did alittle sawing, resawing, and planing to get a start and not shell out much new funds.

I'm just getting ready to make a mold set and side bender setup ans get a soundboard set so it will be a few days/weeks before I have much more to share. But I thought getting on the record my be the push needed to get the ball rolling. And as this progresses ask some questions if needed, with these forums and the great guys on them theres isn't much excuse to say lack of infomation was the you didn't build something.

Bruce, a few pics of what I've done so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: 1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for coming on board. Will be fun to see what you design. Never be afraid to ask questions .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
David L

Post by David L »

Welcome to the forum and keep the pictures coming!

David L
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Great start. Look forward to seeing your progress!
Slacker......
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Thanks for the replys, will ask questions as they come up.
Got a few more pics, seems like they wouldn't come up with the 1st post.
This is the makore that I resawed and planed, doesn't show alot here but I think under finish it should have a reddish/pink undertone and look ok but not real spectacular, but about right for a 1st build.

Bruce,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Bruce,

Nice back and side wood. What fo you plan for your top? I also read both of the books you mentioned before I started. What kind of guitar are you building?
David L

Post by David L »

I agree with JP, you've got some nice looking wood to get started with.

David L
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

I'm going to follow the basic plan from the Kinkade book, from what little I know about building guitars he seems to present a doable approach and I need a guide line to work off of. The plan is a Martin OM type I believe. Haven't bought any top wood yet, but thinking of going with Sitka spruce at present.

I'm the type of person that couldn't follow a plan step by step if his like depended on it, sort of a knucklehead so I just hope I don't veer off into left field with this. With all the build threads I've looked at the past few months it's easy to get attracted to different ways to do something but that may not always be the best thing to do.

So with this plan I will try to follow it but may have some questions for you guys if I think doing something a different way makes sense but still keeps the build on the path.

Still in the process of getting materials together for the needed building tools so it will be a few weeks or so before any real building takes place. And get a few non guitar building projects (that all of a sudden have become a PITA since the guitar bug bit hard) finished and out of the way. And so it goes.

Bruce,
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bruce,
I like the clamping caul for the back and sides that Kinkade uses in his book. I made one for my OM mold and it works great. Now I need one for my Dred mold. I went ahead and clamped the back on in the go-bar deck on the dred I'm building now cause I haven't made that caul yet. This is not as efficient a way to do it. Make that caul, I think you will like it when the time comes you use it.

Kevin
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Kevin, good to hear from you on some of the Kinkade methods. With so many different ways to do things I wonder if sometimes a new builder gets overwhelmed and gets alittle sidetracked if you do a bit from here and a bit from there. Since I have the book and the full size pattern I though use this as a "plan" and try to follow it for the most part.

From what little I know about building, I think I should resist trying to reinvent the wheel before I've even built one wheel. But what the hell is the fun of building stuff if you can't do it your way eventually. Just got to get alot more knowledge/experience before that happens.

It is so interesting to see how different guys go about building the same thing. And I guess as some have said builders are only just beginning to figure out how to make really great sounding steel string guitars. Jeeze with all the great looking and sounding guitars already made what will the future ones be when builders" really figure it out." The futures' so bright you'll have to were sunglasses as the song goes.

Bruce,