2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
nkwak

Re: 2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Post by nkwak »

By that account I should be making more mistakes!

Seriously, on my next build I'm going to focus on truing up the sides before routing the binding - probably immediately after gluing in the kerfed lining; the lining seems to intervene with regards to spring back.

Also, in hindsight I should quit while I was ahead. Purfling is an additional step to the binding process that is just one more thing that can go wrong. My first build went sideways at this point too. I should have just routed for the binding - especially on the back. In fact, originally I was going to do ebony binding.
~ Neil
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

It's not a mistake unless you can't fix it

Ed
Ed M
jread

Post by jread »

i have lots of steps still that i'm not good at, others I enjoy so end up w/ a lot of log jams. Some things money can help like the 1st thing I'll get if I ever sell a guitar is a thickness sander to improve the uniformity in my sides and plates. Doing it w/ hand planes again is the part I'm not looking forward to on my next build. But other things, it's just keep practicing like carving necks. Can't buy my way out of knowing how to do that. Tho, I did hit the donate button up there on the upper right to keep this forum going. Would not have completed anything without you guys.

plus, i'm fairly new so i'll comment on one thing i've noticed fellow newby's don't get like me. Reversing glue isn't all that hard and is OK to do. I've re-glued a lot of things now and it seemed epic at 1st to unglue a block or something but it's gotten to be no big deal for me. Like Ed says, it's not a mistake if you can't fix it including routing off binding or pulling off a fretboard 3 times in a row because I glued it crooked.. :D
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Binding is part of finishing, and it is tough to get right. Experience will tell you what works for you. I think you did a really nice job Neil. It's tough working on multiple guitars. You're mistakes aren't as bad as you think. They're magnified in your mind.

They say that Amish women put a "God square" into a quilt. It's an intentional mistake to remind them that only God is perfect.

Just think of your boo's as God squares.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

They say that Amish women put a "God square" into a quilt. It's an intentional mistake to remind them that only God is perfect.

Japanese woodworkers also intentionally put an "error" into their work so that it won't be perfect. But if it is intentional, is it a mistake. Personally I never make the same mistake twice because there are so many fresh new ones to make why waste time repeating yourself
Ed M
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Interesting how that concept is in so many cultures. I was told that by Navajo rug weavers who described it as a path for the spirits to go in and out.
The spirits have many paths in and out of my guitars.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

~ Neil
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I don't see a problem with what you're doing. I think your work is very good. Love the end graft.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Thanks, Diane, that end graft has been a headache. I don’t think I’ll do one like it again. I also should have elected to just rout for binding on the back and not done purfling. I did the same thing on my first build and went too ornate just to cover mistakes. When I routed for just the binding it came out nearly perfect. Next time: no purfling.

Seriously, I hate purfling now. I will NEVER do shell either.
Last edited by nkwak on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
~ Neil
jread

Post by jread »

just adding again that this is a great guitar. I like the custom shape and size of the body looks inviting. I also struggle w/ the end grafts. I've made 6 now and each one is looks fine from a few feet away but are not the best subjects for close up photos. I just realized that adding in the fibre/maple b/w purfling next to the graft made it a lot easier to make a clean line for me. I ended up gluing in the purfling 1st, then pushing in the graft. I'll save photo's for my thread updates.