2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: 2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

nkwak wrote:Uh oh. I love working with rosewood but think I sanded the sides a tad thin. In another thread somebody mentioned having their sides mistakenly thinned down to .068 but were told they were still okay. Well, mine are .077. Are they still usable for a guitar that will have a 16" lower bout?
Double check with someone like John Hall, but I suspect if you add a couple more side struts for support, your sides will be just fine.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I think they are fine. I sand mine to .080 before I bend. .077" and .080 are pretty close to each other. I go all the way to .07 for the cutaway.
CavalierKingCharles

Post by CavalierKingCharles »

nkwak wrote:Uh oh. I love working with rosewood but think I sanded the sides a tad thin. In another thread somebody mentioned having their sides mistakenly thinned down to .068 but were told they were still okay. Well, mine are .077. Are they still usable for a guitar that will have a 16" lower bout?
I would say no problem at all, forge ahead and post lots of pics.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

The sides are bent as of 3 weeks ago. EIR bends so easily that it seems as if it's actually rubberized. Sorry no pics.
~ Neil
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi Neil,

How did you bend the sides? Do you have a side bender, or did you improvise?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

A friend got me into building and has all the tools down at his place, including a Fox bending machine with heating blanket and thermostat. He lets me use them and helps me so I don't burn his shop down.
~ Neil
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I may end up sending the sides out again.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

FWIW, I did this with a 0.079" strip of ZipFlex and some 0.010 B/W/B purfling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

That's a nice rosette. I still haven't decided what i'm going to do with regards to inlay. I have a herringbone ring and lots of purfling. I don't have much of a budget for zipflex or the skills and tools to do a mosaic or radial rosette. As for the fingerboard, I was thinking of using excess from the zigzag backstrip to put a bar at the 12th fret. Either that or go with pearloid crosses that I purchased when this was going to be an HD-28V SS.

One thing I'm certain of is that I'm going with curly maple binding. I hear it's harder to bend though. What will it take? More moisture and heat and longer wait times?
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

...or should I stick with ebony? ;-)

Sides were bent in February, blocks glued in in April and half the reverse basswood kerfing went in two nights ago. I'm on track for 2019.
Last edited by nkwak on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Neil