2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
nkwak

Re: 2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Post by nkwak »

I'm having second thoughts about discarding the neck. Using my shooting board I managed to level the surface where the fretboard will sit and cut away some of the face plate for the nut slot - albeit with a dull hobby knife. What I determined was that while the headstock is what appears twisted the shaft of the neck is not. If anything, it appears as if the face plate is not of uniform thickness.

I need to see how much of the flaws I'm seeing are actually just optics? I need to make a better headstock template using some 1/4" stock I have lying around to make a bookmatched pair, even things out on the router table then join them. After that I'll have a guide to clean up the headstock. Naturally, the blank will be the guinea pig.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Let me start with a picture of where I am:

The fretboard is glued on and the neck is centered. I'm still unhappy with the purfling but not the binding, otherwise I just have fill gaps.

I've been trying to think of ways to just rout out the purfling without sacrificing the binding but I don't think that such a guide exists. I've been trying to build jigs and this is the closest I can think of:

I need to practice on some discarded bending forms to test it out.
~ Neil
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I have forgotten who, but there is a super repairman that can cut out a top and put a new one in leaving the original binding and purfling in place. Beyond me, but possible
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Neil
I've never done it, but I would think your idea of the jig like that should work if you go slow and careful. Set it up to take a smidge of the binding and maybe a smidge of the top so you get it all in one pass if you're binding thickness is not consistent all the way around. You man not be able to do this depending on the size router bit you use. I know mine don't end up perfect after scraping, sanding, etc.
Also you don't have to go all the way down (deep) when removing it. If you used .060" deep purfling, don't go any deeper than that. You could glue up a little section of binding and purfling on the edge of a board, and practice routing on that first????

Good luck with it. The guitar looks might fine in the pic.

Kevin
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

ruby@magpage.com wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:35 am I have forgotten who, but there is a super repairman that can cut out a top and put a new one in leaving the original binding and purfling in place. Beyond me, but possible
Not with my eyes and (lack of) nerves LOL!

FWIW I did try doing that with an old guitar. It's easier when you don't want to save the top:

Last edited by nkwak on Fri May 21, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:37 am Neil
I've never done it, but I would think your idea of the jig like that should work if you go slow and careful. Set it up to take a smidge of the binding and maybe a smidge of the top so you get it all in one pass if you're binding thickness is not consistent all the way around. You man not be able to do this depending on the size router bit you use. I know mine don't end up perfect after scraping, sanding, etc.
Also you don't have to go all the way down (deep) when removing it. If you used .060" deep purfling, don't go any deeper than that. You could glue up a little section of binding and purfling on the edge of a board, and practice routing on that first????

Good luck with it. The guitar looks might fine in the pic.

Kevin
Thanks, Kevin,

I wish there was a way to actually just scribe out the purfling and touch it up with jewelers' file, some CA and dust but no go.

FWIW I tried it with a couple of form cutouts and while I can get a clean line it's in MDF so tearout is not a factor. Also, while the bit doesn't bite deeper into the "body" it's really easy to pull the wrong way and chop off the "binding." I'm biting the bullet and buying new binding strips. Better safe than sorry.
~ Neil
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

My first three guitars have "warts" and when I look at them, it's really only the purfling. It did not occur to me until recently that I could have cut out the bad purflings (with the bindings) and do them again. I haven't done it yet but I've told myself I'll do that next time it happens. Fortunately, number 4 looks pretty good. I'll be watching to see how you make out.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

stray

Is it the channels or or the installation that's the problem?
Ed M
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

ruby@magpage.com wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:13 am stray

Is it the channels or or the installation that's the problem?
It's kind of both. The binding channels went well but the purfling shelf didn't. I tried filling the gaps in with dust and Titebond but it looks terrible:

I'm willing to ignore the back but the curly maple binding broke as I was gluing it down:

~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I know we all flog ourselves over warts but I did this to myself by being too ambitious. 20/20 hinsight: I should've quit while I was ahead and not done purfling. It came out beautifully and the dry fit was perfect:

~ Neil