2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
nkwak

Re: 2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Post by nkwak »

Just like last time I couldn't match up the purfling ends no matter how hard I tried so I need to recreate this effect for this one. I kind of like it; it's almost like a trademark:

~ Neil
jread

Post by jread »

that is ridiculously beautiful
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Thanks! I just grabbed the first thing I could find: a guitar pick - and traced it. I'm starting to remember how much CA/sawdust filling I'd done on that one too.
~ Neil
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I like the trademark idea - it looks fine

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

what an original and beautiful idea! Well done.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Thanks for the inspiration! Thank you! What a wonderful bit of detail to coordinate with the end wedge. Next project...
peter havriluk
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I spent a little more time in the evenings going at the binding and purfling on acoustic build #2. I'm trying NOT to call it "Number Two" because of how it looks up close, though! The sides are almost level and I'm coming to terms with how the back looks in places.

These are the "Monet" shots; pretty from far away but up close you see the flaws. Here's the "oohs"

...and here are the "UGH!"s...

A lot of this will probably fill in well enough with CA glue and sawdust. The waist is going to be tricky but I think I can manage. This is what happens when you don't know when to walk away and continue working mindlessly because you're mentally tired. Some of these will never be seen from a playing position.
~ Neil
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Boy do I ever understand about walking away from the shop...I gave myself a 'ten o'clock' rule. Don't start anything that will keep me in the shop past ten, and lights out at ten. It's saved me no end of grief.
peter havriluk
nkwak

Does this neck look twisted or is just wonky insert placemen

Post by nkwak »

Does this neck look twisted to you? This is why I need to make jigs. SMH. I should've also held off on carving the neck. I'm tempted to start over from scratch.

Here's a side by side of the mortise and tenon. I tried accommodating for the "drift" in my drilling for the inserts into the end of the tenon by routing the holes inside the mortise.

There's also an issue with the truss rod inset being slightly too shallow but I'm dealing with that as well.

I've wrapped the truss rod in plumber's tape and was planning on using plumber's caulk which is why I need to rout the channel slightly deeper. The neck looks straight from this angle. I've even notched for the nut placement.

The bolts seem to be seating well enough, even without a washer or gasket.

Is there something I'm missing? Should I keep going?
~ Neil
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

A SWAG: with the help of a couple if steel rulers, one across the nut slot, the other across the m/t area where the neck is widest, take a look. Are the rulers parallel or not in the same plane? If they're parallel, then I'm guessing that the neck isn't square to the body, or the body's lower on one side at the upper bout. But accurate analysis without the object in my hands ain't my highest skill.
peter havriluk