Beard Reso Guitar Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
penndan

Re: Beard Reso Guitar Kit

Post by penndan »

I got back to work on this kit today. Did some dot inlays on the finger board and some side markers.
And used my inlay router pantagraph machine thingee to inlay a P in the head stock. Based on one made by Keith MacKenzie and demoed on youtube by guitar gadgeteer Chris Paulick. It uses two sets of drawer slides to give two dimensional movement and the hinges on top allow vertical movement.
A mold of the inlay piece is made of Friendly Plastic. The plastic gets soft in hot water and solidifies at room temp. The stylus follows the mold and the Dremel cuts the cavity.
And the result.
A little bit of ebony dust and some CA glue and it will be permanent. Tomorrow I'll fret the board and glue it to the neck.
darren

Post by darren »

Nice! very cool tool.
Darren
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

interesting , that for posting.
Chris is a cool guy
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Looks great! I'm curious why you inlaid the dot at the 10th fret instead of the 9th fret which is fairly standard. I'm guessing you meant to do this, just curious what the reasoning is.
Slacker......
penndan

Post by penndan »

Darryl Young wrote:Looks great! I'm curious why you inlaid the dot at the 10th fret instead of the 9th fret which is fairly standard. I'm guessing you meant to do this, just curious what the reasoning is.

How about that! guess i'll have to correct it.
penndan

Post by penndan »

Does this look better?
I used a plug cutter to cut some plugs from some scrap ebony. Drilled out the stray dot and plugged the hole. Then put a new dot in the right place. With a little finger grease on the board and the strings over it, the patch will disappear. And if it bugs me later, I'll take the guitar back to the maker and he can put on a new finger board.
penndan

Post by penndan »

There are four holes in the finger board extension that have no pearl in them yet. There will be four screws thru the FB into the top. Then they are covered by pearl dots.
darren

Post by darren »

I would have said I built it for a mando player and left it alone, but that is a really good fix. Nice job.
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is a very cool panagraph deal. So you molded the friendly plastic around the pearl "P"?

Kevin
penndan

Post by penndan »

Yup, just pressed the Friendly Plastic around the upside down 'P' and flattened it all with a hunk of wood till it cooled. I sprayed the pearl with Pam cooking spray for a lube. It can be tricky to get the pearl out of the mold.