1st Guitar - Starting in Texas

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kris42

Re: 1st Guitar - Starting in Texas

Post by Kris42 »

Now on to the side port.

From leftover scrap from the top and sides, I thinned pieces of spruce and rosewood to 0.070", and used the iron to bend them to fit flush to the side.

Image Image

Image Image
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I love that look....laminated one of my soundports just like that, bit didn't have the light wood in the middle. Regretted it ever since.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kris42

Post by Kris42 »

Ok, Shaping braces and putting the pieces together.

Image Image

Never had much experience with chisels before. Now I understand why sharp is important

Image Image

I guess the next step is routing out the channels for the maple bindings. Any suggestions?

I do have access to a Bosch Colt trimmer, but not certain about how to keep it properly positioned.

And as second question ...
What should I be concerned about when using the form and electric blanket to bend the binding, or should I use the iron?
Kris42

Post by Kris42 »

Oh yea. Thanks for talking me into enlarging the sound hole. Getting the spreaders out with the original size would have been a bear.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Wow! That is be yoo tee full! I love the attention to detail on the soundport as well.
~ Neil
ac25srplus

Post by ac25srplus »

I was just wondering if you finished this guitar and how it turned out? I'd like to do something very similar assuming I finally get through with my current (and first) build.

Tim
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I played a few ported guitars. They were ok as a player to hear but were a tad thin for the listener. With a pick up it was ok but lacked lower end.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ac25srplus

Post by ac25srplus »

I was more interested in the body shape of the guitar than the port. I told my daughter the second guitar would be for her. She really likes the shape of my Taylor 814 so I'd like to try and build one for her. The cutaway is obviously different but once I get past that is everything else pretty much the same or will the cutaway require other changes as well (besides the braces)? I thought I could contact you later (John) and perhaps get the sides pre-bent.

Thanks,

Tim
Kris42

Post by Kris42 »

Sorry fell of the workbench for a while (and the project stalled).

Just picked it back up again.

Working on the neck right now. I split a mahogany piece and put a strip of maple down the center. Just finished routing the truss rod slot and building the heel.

I'll post pictures later.

I need to figure out how to do the fingerboard (how to cut the fret slots with tools on hand, or what tools I need). And also how to shape the neck.
Kris42

Post by Kris42 »

The body shape is from a mold I picked up from John. (Blues Creek)