Starting a dual build 1 classical and one 12 fret 00

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Starting a dual build 1 classical and one 12 fret 00

Post by johnnparchem »

While making a replacement top for my ukulele harp I decided to take advantage of the tools and jigs I had to pull out and joined the plates for my next two guitars. The clasical guitar will have an Adirondack Spruce top and African blackwood back and sides. Not sure what I will use for bindings and purflings. The 00 has a sinker rosewood top and a bobinga back and side. I have decided how much of the sap wood on the sides I will keep. The pieces are large enough that I can choose.

This will be my first attempt to keep two projects going at the same time in my shop.

darren

Re: Starting a dual build 1 classical and one 12 fret 00

Post by darren »

John I wish I had your free time... :)

If you can keep the sapwood out of the pattern I vote for koa trimings on the Blackwood. If the sapwood is included curly maple might match a little better. It's going to be beautiful either way.
Darren
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I love African Blackwood! Interesting choice using red spruce for a classical.......just make sure you thin it sufficiently for use with nylon strings. I think many folks use less dense spruce for classicals like Englemann or Lutz as the strings are lightweight and have very little tension to drive the soundboard so the mass of the top becomes important.

You are the man putting out all these instruments!!! Jealous here <smile> I love watching what you are doing so keep up the good work.
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Darren Thanks for the suggestion, I will layout the profile for the rim this weekend to see where I am in terms of the sides. I like the idea of koa bindings so we will see.

Darryl, You're right Red spruce on average would end up heavier than other spruces for the same stiffness. I will see where this top ends up. It really has a great tone. I am set up to do a bunch of measurements before I use it so I might change my mind and save the top for a steel string. I have some redwood and cedar plates as well that I can use on the classical. I have already made two with classical guitars using Engelmann spruce and thought I would branch out. I will take your point into consideration.

John