Rosewood/Redwood OMC Build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.

Re: Rosewood/Redwood OMC Build

Post by   »

Another beautiful member-built guitar. We have some real talented folks here.

-tommy
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

wow we hadn't seen this one in awhile. Glad you are able to get back to it and finish up.
It looks great.

Kevin
RnB

Post by RnB »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:wow we hadn't seen this one in awhile. Glad you are able to get back to it and finish up.
It looks great.

Kevin
Yup, why rush things Kevin...lol! Another build has been on the bench since '06, but I'm getting a handle on it. I started the finishing process on it this past weekend. Hopefully, I can continue this week...weather permitting? I do peek in here occasionally & see what the chipmunk's are up to. Very nice work on everyones' part....
RnB

Post by RnB »

Spent the better part of the last couple of days fretting & leveling the neck. Since the neck joint is M&T, I mounted it onto the guitar with just the one bolt holding it together. I was then able to mark off the bridge locale & proceeded to tape off & scrape the lacquer (per Tippie's method), only I used a Fordham drill setup. Cutting that little ledge around the perimeter of the bridge proved a bit challenging since it was the 1st time I used this method. It took some time getting the bridge to sit flush all around the edges. After few hours, I finally got it.

The nut/saddle are cut & fitted. I have it all setup & strung w/ an 1/8" of saddle showing. A good amt of break angle is present. Anymore might put too much stress on the bridge. A little tight soundwise, but crisp trebles, yet warm sounding on the bass side w/ an even sound across the strings. Not quite as loud as other OM's. Pretty much the norm for this type of top from what I've read. I am getting a slight buzz on a few frets beyond the 15th fret, but I think it's due to the fret-board ext not being glued down yet. Redwood tops are something I've been curious about & wanted to check out. I really like the appearance, but I don't think it quite offers as much bass response that a white spruce offers. Does Redwood take time to open up...dunno? No completed pics yet...soon!

Last edited by RnB on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Fretboard looks really nice, good job
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Wow very nice work. That is a fine guitar.
RnB

Post by RnB »

Pretty much got a handle on the Redwood OMC. I might point out that this was basically a Martin parts OM. The back, neck & fretboard were supplied by Tippie IIRC. John matched the Rosewood back to the Rwd sides for me to a tee! The rimset was an ebay deal. I secured the Redwood top from Allied Lutherie. As JohnParchem said, "don't look at the Redwood top too hard...it's very fragile".

As a second build, there were fewer boo-boo's than the previous OMC I made, but there are a few. The neck was orig fitted on the 1st OM I made, but it it was too narrow for the body. I had sanded that OMC's top too much in the neck area & it was 3/16" shallower. So, I had to cut the heel of the neck shorter to fit. Subsequently, when I switched necks, it came up short on the this Redwood model. I had to add a bit of trim on the heel cap to compensate. Prolly should have used wood, but I didn't think to at the time.

The Saddle height is OK w/ a little over an 1/8" showing w/ a nice break angle. I went w/ unslotted Ivoroid bridge pins from S-Mac.

At first, it played very sluggishly, but after giving it slight more neck angle & more play time, it's responding well w/ good playabilty. Redwood does offer a very distinct sound. I went really light on the top at .105"...maybe too light? Final weight is 4.25 lbs. I still need to glue the neck & board extension in place, but thought I'd let it settle-in for awhile & see if anything moves...

Last edited by RnB on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JVan

Post by JVan »

Beautiful work! That is one fine looking Geeetar....

JV
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice work. Anyone would be proud to have that guitar
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
RnB

Post by RnB »

tippie53 wrote:nice work. Anyone would be proud to have that guitar
Thx John. Means alot coming from you...! JVan as well. Took me awhile, but it's done at last. I got sidetracked.

I'm currently working on the finishing aspects of the 1st kit I got from you back in 2006. An OM deep-body (Rwd/Engelmann). I think it's gonna whoop. I'll be posting a B-blog about it soon. That Dovetail joint had me quite perplexed for a long time. I almost totally messed it up. I wanted to get some primary knowledge w/ an M&T joint first...