Newbie first kit build - Stew Mac 000

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
chimpotle

Newbie first kit build - Stew Mac 000

Post by chimpotle »

I started this thread up in the guitar building procedures board, figured i'd move it here and post some updates. Heres the original:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3738

Since that time i haven't got a ton accomplished, and i've had some setbacks that are documented in the beginners questions section.

So, what i've done since gluing the sides and installing the rosette:

I sanded the radius into the rims without any problems (so far), and then went to work on the top braces. Unfortunately, i notched both x braces with the same angle. I ended up ordering new x braces (already radiused) and got back on track after about a 3 week wait. I only had to use one of the new ones after notching it correctly, and got the braces glued in, with a little slippage from my brace outline marks. I'm gonna live with that one. I've got a pic of the top braces mostly on, after i reclamped them to leave them over night for good measure. Got my DNA on the guitar feathering the brace ends ;)~
IMG_1383.jpg
Next i moved on the gluing on the headstock veneer and filing the string ramps. Pretty happy with that so far.
IMG_1389.jpg
Went on vacation up to Monterey.
IMG_1419.JPG
Tried to tackle the fretboard next. Gave my self fits marking out the centerline and profile - must've done it 75 times. After i got it right, i screwed up the fretboard by trying to cut the profile with a coping saw (thats another thread). I went out that afternoon and bought a band saw. I did start practicing routing out the fret marker inlays - i have a ways to go there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chimpotle on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Chuck
chimpotle

Re: Newbie first build - Stew Mac 000

Post by chimpotle »

Then i got the back braced up (in process pic below), but when i installed the center strips (in accordance with the stew mac directions, using a notched fence), one of them slipped. Not sure if i'm going to live with that one yet. I don't think you'll see it through the sound hole and its only slightly off. Pic is before the slip - the center strip was just there for me to check for fit.
IMG_1454.jpg
Tonight i glued the top on. This was the last dry run, minus a few cam clamps.
IMG_1474.jpg
And thats where i'm at.

I've been practicing routing binding channels pretty often over the past month. As a matter of fact, i've practiced almost every process before doing it - notching lap joints (turns out i needed a t-bevel), scraping, sharpening, routing, inlaying, even gluing. But there comes a point when i get into paralysis by analysis. Anyways, thats that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chuck
darren

Re: Newbie first kit build - Stew Mac 000

Post by darren »

Screwdriver through the tuner holes for ramping the slots is a good idea. Where'd you find that?
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is a lot of work done so far Chuck, looking good, and I especially like the pic of the central coast....did you drive up Hwy 1?

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Looking really good.
chimpotle

Post by chimpotle »

Thanks guys!

Darren - i just googled "filing string ramps" and found a thread on OLF.

Kevin - we drove up 101, and came back down the 1. One of my favorite drives.
- Chuck
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I've spent alot of time at Kirk Creek about half way between Big Sur and Morro Bay.....I love the 1.

Kevin