Bloodwood small jumbo

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
SKBarbour

Bloodwood small jumbo

Post by SKBarbour »

I'm not sure how this one will go. from what I've experienced so far blood wood is mostly living up to it's reputation. I bent the sides without much of a problem. Some small cracks on the ends most of which was cutoff. Thicknessed the back and joined it. had a couple of small cracks there also. Clamped and flooded them with ca and hope I can place most of them outside of the template. I bought this set from LMI. Well it really wasn't a set but the orphaned sides I ordered were bookmacthed and the back looks good with them so I am going with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
SKBarbour

Re: Bloodwood small jumbo

Post by SKBarbour »

one more pic of the rosette i made up yesterday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bloodwood is beautiful wood. I've only used it for bindings and a bridge and I loved the glassy surface I achieved on the bridge. Bending the bindings were a bear until I discovered the thickness I needed to get them down to to bend without breaking.
I've seen only one all bloodwood guitar, and it was geeeeorgeous! Can't wait to see this one.
Nice rosette too.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Kyle, it's looking great! I've never handled bloodwood, only seen pictures of it.
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Looking good. I am always happy to get the sides glued to the blocks to stop any cracking.
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

thanks all. John I'm expecting the blocks to be in in the next couple of days, until then I'm keeping a close watch on the humidity in the shop. hopefully no more cracking. seems like the cracks from bending were cutoff but you know how that can go sometimes.
kyle
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Awesome. I'm curious how you trimmed the sides the joint looks very accurate.
Alain
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Alain, I place one side at a time in the mold to mark the sides and use a cheap xacto razor saw to trim them off. If they are too tight I use a file to take them down a bit.
kyle
David L

Post by David L »

That rosette is awesome looking!

David L
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Installed the rosette and worked on back bracing. I need to lay out the 28' radius so I can get started bracing the top.
kyle