Bloodwood small jumbo

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
SKBarbour

Re: Bloodwood small jumbo

Post by SKBarbour »

Thanks Alain. The inlay is bloodwood, The black band at the bottom of the feather is maccasser ebony and the quill is bone from an oops saddle. I really wanted to incorporate this into the guitar but can't find a way that I really like. I grew up in a family who hunts with hawks and falcons, redtail hawks have a large population in North America and is one of the most commonly used hawks in falconry, hence the redtail feather. This guitar is for my father, so I'll come up with some kind of hawk oriented logo for the headstock that I like.

As for the rosette, I drew it out on paper and used an angle finder to duplicate the angle. That got me pretty close, then I fit the peices together before using the circle cutter to cut it out. I'll look for pics on the process and if I have some I'll post them.
kyle
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Right on Kyle. I think the feather is the perfect symbol for you and it looks good on the guitar. I like the way you used the wood grain for the feathers. It looks good on the head stock (008) and the fretboard. Maybe if it was slightly smaller you would feel better about it.
Alain
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Found some inspiration from a hawking glove from when I was a kid. I like how it turned out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

All ready for final sanding. Thought I'd go outside for a few pics before I got started.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
darren

Post by darren »

looks good from here.

how did the neck joint turn out?
Darren
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Neck joint looks good. Iwas alittle worried with the SJ not being flat on the upperbout at the neck joint but it looks good. I've got the neck off and the top taped off for sanding now but when I get them back together I'll show a good pic of it.
kyle
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Wow! It's turned out great. I see that you did the OLF small jumbo. I'm doing the medium jumbo and have the hump too. Next time I'm going to sand the rims on the upper bout with a flat sanding caul.

I like your neck. I'm also doing a laminated neck. Carving has just gotten underway but having different materials has made the procesd "interesting." Is the center strip bloodwood too? What finish are you going to use?
~ Neil
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Thanks Neil. The center strip is bloodwood. Ithought about sanding the side flat for the neck joint, then decided I probably wouldn't like the way it looks. Part of the beauty to the jumbos are the curves. I will be filling with Zpoxy, mainly because I like the way it pops the maple. For finish I will be using KTM 9 again. I don't have spray equipment and this is the finish I feel comfortable brushing on.
kyle