Mark Stanley Bass Guitar finished, with a rough setup

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
RnB

Re: Mark Stanley Bass Guitar Kit

Post by RnB »

Now you're cookin'...out-standing!
johnnparchem wrote: Image
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks,

I got a little farther this weekend. I finsihed the fretboard. I am waiting on a size adjustment to the truss rod; not many accoustic bass guitars out there. All that is left is the final profile of the neck to match the fretboard and finish sanding the rims. As noted before I am making a fretless bass, but I filled fretslots with black fiber to help find the notes.

This weekend a really good local bass player came by the shop. He plays both jazz guitar and upright bass, we went over strings and the possible placement of a thumb rest. When I am finished he will come by and check it out. He was nearly excited about the guitar as I am.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looks awesome John. So will sound different then if it had frets? More like an upright string bass, but amplified?

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Looks awesome John. So will sound different then if it had frets? More like an upright string bass, but amplified?

Kevin
That is the goal. I am going to get flatwound bass strings, which should produce a deeper less bright sound and be a lot easier on the fretboard than wire wound strings. Having no frets allows a good player to intonate each note to their ear instead of relying on my intonation and the compromises made with a fretted guitar.

The bass player is going to pick out strings that he thinks will sound more like an upright bass.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Very cool project John. I hope it turns out like you hope. It's very difficult to match the sound of a large, upright bass........so if you get even half-way close, it's a fantastic accomplishment.

Can you get catgut strings for a standard size bass like this? I wonder how they would sound?
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Darryl Young wrote:Very cool project John. I hope it turns out like you hope. It's very difficult to match the sound of a large, upright bass........so if you get even half-way close, it's a fantastic accomplishment.

Can you get catgut strings for a standard size bass like this? I wonder how they would sound?
remember I said "more like an upright bass" :)
I am not sure the gut strings will have enough energy. I am looking for flat wound bass strings that have a softer wrap around a steel core.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I need to start thinking about my next project. The bass is getting close. I need to cut out and inlay a logo for the headstock, but other than that the construction is finished. The guitar has been sanded, but I like to come back another day with a fresh attitude and sand it properly. I had thought the istrument was big, but by the time I was finished sanding boy did I think it was big.

johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thursday and Friday morning before work I was able to cut and install my logo on the headstock That set me up this weekend to start finishing. I pulled the parlor out of the spary room and moved the bass in. Getting the first coat of zpoxy filler on the guitar is always exciting as I get to see what the wood really will look like.

Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

OOoooooohh Man!

Kevin
JVan

Post by JVan »

Simply Beautiful!