Mark Stanley Bass Guitar finished, with a rough setup

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: Mark Stanley Bass Guitar Kit

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks Kevin,

I am going to fill the slots with black fiber strips. The stuff I have fits in really nice. I will also bind the fretboard with ebony bindings. I think it will look good. Having the the black fret lines will allow me to be close when I am trying to play fretless.

I got the bridge as part of the kit from Waldron. The bridge has a couple of holes in the back that will allow me to run some dowels through the bridge plate hopefulling helping to hold the bridge on.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I am making a bit more progress on the Bass. I have the end wedge in and have put a veneer on the back of the headstock.

The end wedge went easy as I have made a few of them. I used a bit of scrap koa, Laid out the wedge from a centerline. I then cut it close on a bandsaw and use a block plane to get right on my layout line.

I clamp the wedge on the rim where I want it and use an exacto knife scribe two lines. I then clamp a block right on the outside of the scribed line and use it as a guide to cut the shape of the wedge into the rim. I hand chisel out the waste. The wedge is tight enough when pushed in not to use clamps while gluing, but I still used a couple of clamps just to make sure it was down.

This is the first time I have added a veneer to the back of the headstock. The neck that I got in the kit has a curved up ridge in the back requiring me to bend the veneer. Also I had a nice booked matched bit of koa from a previous guitar that I decided to use to match my end wedge and the heel cap. The pictures I am showing makes the process look easy, but I do not show the book match veneer seperating from the heat, planing and sanding the glue edge of the veneers to get a good joint and aligning the curved pieces to glue them back together. Next time I think I will use a nice one piece veneer to do this.

johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I went ahead and profiled the headstock. It was a scary enough operation that I think I will stop today.

Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Looks great John! I want to see this one come together.......and would sure like to hear it when you're done.
Slacker......
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Maybe I should volunteer to go look and listen to it, it can't be too far from where I live. Looks like it will be a nice one, a nice big one!

Bruce,
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wow John, that Koa looks awesome with the back and side wood....what a combination. I've done one backstrap veneer, but that was to make up for getting the headstock too thin. This one will look really nice.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

BEJ wrote:Maybe I should volunteer to go look and listen to it, it can't be too far from where I live. Looks like it will be a nice one, a nice big one!

Bruce,
I am just north of 85th NW st near 24th ave NW.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Nice area, could take the bass down to Golden Gardens and blow a few minds.

I live above Rainer Beach toward Skyway area, will have to try to get together sometime to check out your shop and stuff, looks like your doing some great work.

Bruce,
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have the bass guitar closed up and bound. I used black fiber bindings, with a bwb purfling plus a diagonal check black and white purfling on the top. I was just going to go with binding and bwb purfling, 3mm, on the top but I had some funkiness on the bottom of the top so I added the marquetry.

I also profiled the fretboard and filled the fret slots with black fiber. I will bind the fret board with ebony binding and wb purfling.

The guitar is huge but it feels somewhat playable, at least for me. I am nearly 6'4".

Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is one big guitar for one big man. I like it!!!

Kevin