hummingbird #2 Padauk Sapwood - Bear Claw Dred

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
hummingbird

hummingbird #2 Padauk Sapwood - Bear Claw Dred

Post by hummingbird »

I found two of these pieces of padauk at my local wood store and I got a crazy idea for a funky four piece back. I used one piece for the sides and one for the back. Heres how I did it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alain
hummingbird

Re: hummingbird #2 Padauk Sapwood - Bear Claw Dred

Post by hummingbird »

It took a few hours of contemplation to figure out how I would cut and match up the pieces to make the back.
I ended up making a copy of the sapwood pattern on to wax paper and experimenting with four pieces I cut from that.
I spread out the pieces on my kitchen table on top of a dred shaped piece of wood and moved them around until I had the pattern I wanted. Then I transfered the wax paper pieces to the padauk piece and cut out the four pieces I needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alain
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Could be an interesting look. I think you need to keep a careful eye on the symmetry though. If it's unbalanced to one side it could give it an odd, unbalanced look.

What kind of binding scheme are you planning?
My poorly maintained "Blog"
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

I actually had both sides to work with and I had to use the opposite sides on a couple of pieces to make them match. Bit of a brain teezer it was.
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Im pleased with the way it turned out. I think I got the symmetry bang on but it did take several hours of manipulating the pieces before I got it right. Im pretty anal about stuff like that.
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

I bent the sides and started preparing the rim
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Side braces
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Solid Western Red Cedar Lining
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Rim complete
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

End wedge. I almost put a contrasting red and white padauk end wedge then changed my mind at the last minute and installed an all sapwood wedge with a little spalting. Heres pics of both.
Alain