1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: 1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bruce,
I have the Kinkade book and it has been a great inspiration to me. I look at it all the time to get ideas for binding/purfling schemes, etc. You could follow his method to a tea and make a great guitar! Don't worry, you will for sure find many ways to try and do the steps if you build more than one.
Take your time, and go slow....don't rush it. It still takes me 5 or 6 months to build one and I enjoy every minute of the process.

Kevin
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Kevin, been reading my Kinkade again and starting to build some of the tools needed or atleast get ideas on.

Read your thread on the router tower binding rig, sweet set up, warms the cockcels of an old diy knucklehead. Nice not to have to screw around trying to come up with somethig to avoid buying it but most likely spending more money and time than if you just ponied up, but what fun is that! Thanks for the info.

That's the great thing about these internet forums you can learn from others and avoid a few screw ups or shorten the learning curve alittle. I know you have to find your own way but having posts like yours to look at can't but help.

Do you have some pics of our knives somewhere, just finished putting handles on some kitchen blanks I got from Jantz Supply, some sweet chef's knives for not much money. Already cut myself with one of them.

Bruce,
Kevin Sjostrand

Hey Bruce, a fellow knife maker!!!

I like making the tools and jigs myself If I can. Sometimes you save $$ sometimes you don't, but there is alot of satisfaction in doing it.

Jantz was the place I bought my first knife kit back in about 1989 that got me started making knives. I handled a few of those kitchen blades back then too. I also buy from K & G Finishing and Texas Knifemakers Supply. All good people.

I'll put a few pics in a PM to you so as not to bother the rest of the guys here with them.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Okay, went to PM and saw I can't put a pic in there.
Here's a couple of knives I made. I am not making many these days as the guitars seem to be edging out the competition. He he.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Kevin, nice knives, looks like you got that down. No knifemaker here, just ran across the Jantz web site and the kitchen chef's blades seem to be a real good deal and I got an 8/10" chefs and 8" camp blades, not sure what the quality would be, but was blown away by how nice they were when I opened the package. A $100+ chefs knife easy for $15-17, just put a handle on it.

Now that I got that out of my system, on to guitar building after a few more tools and some more raw materials.

Bruce,
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Decided before I really get into this build I needed to clean out and reorganize my garage/shop. OMG, what a PITA, you end up making a bigger mess than when you started!

Guess most of us become somewhat a prisoner of our stuff, I decided to get rid of anything I really didn't have a true use for or anything I wouldn't use in my remaining life time, once you make that decision the rest is easy. Except actually doing it!

Found alot of things I can use to build the guitar making tools and some other stuff I didn't know I had, about 14,000 drywalls screws in 50 different places, a sh*t load of washers that I never could find when I needed one. Guess I'm like most guys that do different DIY things, we all have a few hardware catch boxes with about every size of whatever. I dumped mine out and sorted them, OMG I maybe have just lost my membership in the real guys club! Who sorts their sh*t?

Anyway am now building a combination router/planer cart. It has them mounted on a flip/rotating table cart about 24" square, will take up less space and make the two tools easier to use. I combined 3 different construction articles from all the frickin mags I've read all these years. Had to buy 1 sheet of 3/4" ply but all the rest of the materials came from all the odds and ends collecting dust. Will take a few more days to finish phase 1 them maybe will get to old bandsaw cranked up and butcher some wood, yea ha!

Bruce,
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Got alittle more work done on the shop reorganize and am finishing up on the mold set and side bending machine. Will post some pics so I can get some feedback on why I did it this way and not that way.

After reading alot of posts and different books you get some ideas on combining different ways and methods of making something, guess there are alot of ways to do some of the build tools, time will tell.

Bruce,
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Good luck, BEJ. You've obviously got a lot of woodworking experience so I expect that it won't be too long before you're working on your build. I hope you post more pics. I for one won't mind if there happens to be a mess in your shop - you should see mine right now!
~ Neil
David L

Post by David L »

Somehow your pictures aren't coming through on my computer (sarcasm).

David L
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

The pics as indicated; 1st set, a flip top cabinet I made for my planer and a new router table with topside up/down adjustment and an adjustable fence.

This was a combination of 3 different mag articles that I had around for years and did nothing. Got more efficent use of space, a better way to handle the 78# Ryobi planer and better use for one oy my routers. A few more things to do and will be ready to go!

Bruce,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.