1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
BEJ

Re: 1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Post by BEJ »

2 more flip top cab pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Here are some pics of my attempt at a side bending machine. Sort of a combo of a few different versions with as much materials used that I already had lying around. Also my molding form.

Bruce,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Again 2 more pics. That's all folks!
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Unfortunately some dillydallying still going on, have just about finished the garage/shop reworking and building of guitar construction machines. Finished building a copy of Kevin S's binding machine and some of the other small odds and ends needed.

Found some nice jatoba lumber left over from building some speaker cabinets during the clean up and was able to resaw and mill up a nice set of backs and sides. Should make a good second built in the future, just need to get to the 1st build.

Bruce,
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Just a short post to start the journey back from the dead. Got sidetracked from my intended 1st build by life kicking me in the butt and other destractions, guess one get's unfocused at times.

Part of the delay was from doing my 1st attept at bending the sides, I didn't get the 1st piece thin enough and cracked and creased it. Was such a nice piece of wood I didn't want to give up on it but got alittle discourged and let the build fall to the back burner. Long story short, thined the 2nd side and got a good bend, reflattened the damaged side and did a fairly reasonable bend with a slight crease. Should look ok for the first build, no way I was going to not use this wood after all the prep work just getting a back/side set out of it. Did learn alot about bending, you can read all the books and watch all the vids but until you put hands on the wood you don't know what you don't know about doing it.

Have the back done and ready to install, am working on the soundboard now and should have all the bracing in tomorrow. Had to do and redo the rosette 3 times or so to get something acceptable. Again had to do it to find out what to do and what not to do. Found I needed alot more stable circle cutter set up for my lam router something with no slop or alot tighter than what I've used for other woodworking projects, made up something found from someones post on another forum that seems to work alot better.

Nice to get back into it again but sometimes some of the stuff you have to go through to build one of these things makes me wounder why I'm doing it. But then your end up with something you've never made before and it's pretty sweet not perfect but good enough that you know you can do better in the future from what you learned so far. I guess the thing to do now is not let too much time pass before I apply this so I don't forget and have to relearn it all over again.

Will get so pics on what I've done so far in the next day of so.

Bruce,
Last edited by BEJ on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Good to see you back Bruce, and glad you are back at it. We all need a break once in awhile.

Kevin
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Got some work done the past few days, soundboard braced up and braces cut and rough sanded. Will glue up the soundboard sides tomorrow and start getting the neck joint started.

Maybe my screwing around on this build might in someways be good, I was wondering if the slanted dovetail joint the Kinkade book/plan uses was something that I could do and make work. But after looking at a post on the hardware joint some are using with the knockdown type bolts/nut I will do that now instead. One good thing is I already have leftover bolts and nuts from other projects and I like using stuff I already have, like the wood I had laying around, on this project.

Here are some pics on what has been done so far.

Bruce,
Last edited by BEJ on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

A few more.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

And a few more.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Got some work on the build in the past few days, box finished and neck mortice and tendon rough cut. Will cut the bolt/insert tomorrow and floss in the final set.

This build has shown me I need to kick up my woodworking skills a notch or two. What use to get me by with a little fill in and sanding won't get it for guitar making, one has to be alot more precise to get any kind of results you might want to show to someone. Hoping this first build will show me what I need to do better and pay more attention to.

Maybe one should make up a build list somewhat like a pre flight check list like airplane pilots do.

A pics of the work done today.

Bruce,