1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
BEJ

Re: 1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Post by BEJ »

Haven't gotten much done on the build the past few days, been spending time repairing tools (drill press) and making/modifing tools.
Drill press motor gave out so I had to find another one or get another drill press, got a 1/2 hp motor from a friend that had it laying around, fixed the problem.
Built an indexing/follower for binding rig, used design from various versions on the forums, great to get proven designs to make a type of copy from. Will do some test runs tomorrow to see how well my copy works.

Bruce,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Have got a little more done of this build, most of the neck carved, headstock installed, and fret board. Still need to final carve/sandout on neck base and final fit.

The reason I say is a little done is a result of coming down a step ladder wrong, though I was on the 1st step going to ground but was on the 2nd step and missed the 1st step. Like they say a bridge too far, leg couldn't take that much distance/leg angle and snapped my quad to tendons at knee cap. (OMG what an idiot, can even come down a frick'in step ladder without screwing up!!!) Anyway had the surgery to repair it and am now waiting for post 2 week apt to get bandages/brace off and start rehab. Seems like everything is going well so far.

Now that I can't do any effective guitar work I really want to get this 1st build done, I could have gotten so much done this spring/summer but didn't. Guess that's how it works sometimes, you really want something that's taken away but don't see it's worth when you can just reach out a take it.

But on the bright side, I've had a lot of time to reread books, mag articles, and forum stuff and have got a lot better idea of I'm doing. The 2nd build is going to be soooo much better.

This makes me thankful for the great gift of guitar building and how it will help me to get back on track, whatever that may be.

Bruce,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Looks like it's been a while since I've posted anything on this thread, as they say life got in the way along the way. Finally got back into guitar building after building a new shop in backyard shed, nice to have a heated shop(also air conditioned even) make a big difference removing personal comfort considerations from going to work building something anything.
Have kept at guitar building on an off the past few years but no with any consistent effort, hit and miss and the results show it. Have got back in the past few months, reworked some of my tools for better results, rethought some of what I had been doing, and read and watched a lot on what others were doing. Great to be involved in something where you can learn from others so freely.
Had accumulated enough wood to build 5-6 guitars from milling up parts from wood bought from local hardwood lumberyard, so I thought instead of building 1 guitar I would do 3. Seemed like setting up everything for 1 build would work great for 2 more. One set up and mess instead of 3, and by the time you do something the 3rd pass you should be a little bit better at it.
Guess I'll call this build the "3 bros" maybe if I name it I'll finish them. These will be #4,5, and 6, never finished 1 and 2, 3 is in pictures and I'm just about done with it. A few pics....
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

A few more pics....
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I admire your persistence. If I had to abandon my #1 and 2, I would have quit. They look good

Ed
Ed M
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Three's my best building set too. Set up a process, then do it three times instead of set up, take down, set up for one. I don't know if I've gotten better on each repeat though.... I use three different body shapes at a time. Got the molds, and like the variety. Finishing with nitro works out great for the timing between coats too.
Yours are looking good!
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Thanks for the replies, this is the first time I've tried doing something like this 3 at a time but so far I like it. Have a plan to build the same guitar with only changes in woods a dozen times, thinking the 12th should be pretty good and then branch out from there. Have plans for a Grit Laskn model from a series he did for FineWoodworking mag in the last '80s, a lot larger OM type.

Got some more building in the past few days, some pics....
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Your work looks great. Does the Grit Laskin article show how the guitar is braced? I'm curious about that. If you can share the issue number of Fine Woodworking I'd like to track it down if I can. Bruce W.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

In 1977, David Bromberg (6'4" tall) found an older M body Martin, which has been called the 0000 (quadruple 0), and convinced Martin they should make it again. It is the depth of an 000 (or OM - same body), and Martin later made it the depth of a D body and called it their J for jumbo.

I wonder if the 1980 article is one of those bodies?

Ed
Ed M
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I laboured long when considering my first-builds, wanting a shorter guitar, and found Martin's "Norman Blake" model, a 12 fret neck on an OM body. Along the way I also discovered Martin custom 12 fret 0000s (M style). I think some have taller upper bouts, like 12 fret 000s, but one called Woodsong is a 12 fret neck on an M body. The idea really appealed to me. I ended up building two 12 fret OMs - I called them "Norman Kinkeads", a combination of the Norman Blake idea but in a Jonathan Kinkead OM body. They turned out well, but I can't let go of the idea of that 12 fret 0000. I must look for 0000 plans . . . I have Cumpiano's Grand Auditorium which may be close enough.

Edit - sorry, wrong thread on the Windex, I'll delete and repost.