hummingbird #1 Padauk-Sitka

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
hummingbird

Re: hummingbird #1 Padauk-Sitka

Post by hummingbird »

Glued on the back last night.
Same pics as in another post
This is a dry run
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Trimmed the overhang and sanded nice like.
Starting to look more guitarish :)

The 1" thick plank of padauk I used for this back had a great ring to it at the lumber store. After I thicknessed it to about .108 - .110" it rang even better. After bracing it rang out even more. Now that its glued to the rim the whole assembly has an unbelievable ring. Even just brushing up against it or picking it up will set it ringing.
My expectations were not that great at first since this is my first guitar and it does have flaws that I have not documented but now Im feeling good about this guitar's potential.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hummingbird on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

My daughter in law made me a nice label.
I had it printed on textured paper from staples.
Soaked it in Knox unflavoured gelatin and water (same as hot hide glue) and stuck it on. Im pleased with the result.
Hopefully tonight I can glue on the top.
Alain
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Very very nice Alain.
Just remember to put the strings on the outside.

Kevin
RnB

Post by RnB »

That's going be a great looking guitar upon completion...! Very clean work on the interior.

I like Padauk & have built a number of shelves & picture frames w/ it, but never a guitar...yet. Seemed heavier than other hardwoods & it covered my shop w/ red dust...lol. I believe some big-name makers are using it on some of their models as well.

Rich
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I think you will be very surprised at the sound you get out of it, especially since it will continue to improve and open up over the next several months. The padauk in the pictures you saw was the first compelted model I did with the hole off the soundboard, as well as the laminated braces, as well as the actual bracing pattern....lots of firsts, and I couldn't believe the sound it had....much I believe due to the wood choice. Yers will be awesome.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

The top sounded a bit tight so I did a bit more scalloping before glueing it on. I hope I didn't take too much off.
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Sides back and top ready to go
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Last view of the underside before closing the box.
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Gluing on the top.
Alain