hummingbird #1 Padauk-Sitka

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
hummingbird

Re: hummingbird #1 Padauk-Sitka

Post by hummingbird »

I installed the binding. Its a two piece washburn style purfling with white oak binding. Im not even sure if this is how it was intended to be installed but I did it this way and I think it looks ok.
The white oak binding was not tall enough for the channel so I added a red wood strip under it. I think its a nice touch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Assembling the neck. I glued a piece of wenge over the truss rod to fill the gap. Glued on the fretboard with epoxy. I hate epoxy. Its so gooey and sticky and you cant just wipe your hands as your useing it so it stays on your fingers and ends up all over your work. Theres got to be a better way or a better glue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Glued on the bridge. A rosewood gibson reverse belly bridge. I reamed out the holes for the bone pins. I also carved a bone saddle and nut.
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

ITS DONE!!... well except for the finish.

I didn't get pics of installing the gold frets.

I couldn't wait. I bolted on the neck and strung it up last night.

I got up early this morning and did a decent setup.

It sounds way better than expected. I was very surprised. its very well balanced and the sustain lasts forever. I can play it loud or soft and it responds very well. It loves to be strumed but also sounds good for fingerstyle. Im smiling from ear to ear!

Ill play it this week then strip it down and prep it for finish.
Alain
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Nice nice job Alain, looks fantastic. Now get that finish on it and start the next one!

Kevin

Post by   »

Great choice of woods, outstanding and unique binding. Most excellent!

-tommy
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I do like the binding and purfling details. Nice job .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Thanks Kevin Tommy and John. I'm having so much fun playing it that I just can't stop. It may be a while before I can bring myself to strip it down. In the mean time I'm working feverishly on #2 so I can play that while this one is being finished. It's almost there. This is fun.
Alain