A new build, Santos Mahogany, Maple, and Spruce Dred

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A new build, Santos Mahogany, Maple, and Spruce Dred

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Thanks Darren. I use a dremel/circle cutter and I cut the rosette out and the channels for it at the same time so I get a near perfect fit. I use a .055" cutter that is the perfect size for the .060 BWB purfling.
I cut this bindings from some solid maple flooring boards I aquired. Not fancy, but they look pretty good.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

last weekend I worked a little bit on this guitar. I didn't have my new camera yet (to replace the one taken in the breakin), took a few with my phone, but haven't gotten those off yet.
I cut the tenon on the neck heel and the mortise in the body. I'm using a Simpson jig. I used a pattern cutting bit with bearing to cut the tenon in the mahogany, full cut pass....no problems as before. I went to cut the mortise same way, full depth cut and partially in the bit grabbed and cracked the neck block and the body along the binding about an inch, also cracked the top a couple of inches under where the fretboard extension will cover it. My heart sank....I should have known, but this jig is set up to use a pattern bit and there is no way to follow the pattern without going full depth unless you are REALLY careful and cut a little depth at a time and stay away from the pattern until the bearing can make contact.....anyway. I was able to inject glue using a syringe down into all the cracked areas and clamp it up, almost good as new. There was no break in the bracing under the crack in the top so some glue in there secured it. Silly me I didn't try clamping first the top crack before clamping the neck block..don't know what I was thinking, but the top crack did not pull down flush, so I had to sand a little bit to make it flush across the area. All will be well there once the fretboard is glued down.
Sorry no pictures, but I will put up 2 or 3 tonight.
The neck is started, head stock shape routed out and almost to thickness, tenon cut. I will make some hay here this weekend, and hope to have the guitar body porefilled and start spraying some lacquer on it.
That is all for now.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Yikes! If your router can use them it might be better to widen the mortise pattern enough to use a router guide bushing. Also you might be able to find a shorter pattern bit with a long enough shaft. Once you cut part of the mortise the mortise itself can be the pattern for a second and or third deeper cut.
Kevin Sjostrand

Bingo John,
That is what I did. I stopped and glued it up, went to lunch at In n Out, stopped at HF and got a set of guide bushings, came back to the shop, widened the pattern for the mortise by a 1/16" on each side and cut the thing.
I am going to do the same thing with the tenon to be safe, and since I have a plunge base for my router, it makes it slick. Otherwise, this jig is working out well........thank you very much!
I do need to get a bit with a longer shaft as I had to chuck up on a little less than I want to to get it long enough.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Last night I spent time adjusting the neck to body fit to get it center and the angle right on. I was surprised that I was high at the bridge location after using the simpson jig to set that angle. I only had to come down 1/8" and all is good now. Drilled an end pin hole too. Tonight I'll rout the extended slot in the top for the truss rod, then I'm going to shoot the body with some vinyl sealer so tomorrow I can pore fill the back and sides. I'm going to use rosewood Timbermate. I think it will be just right.
I should be spraying the body Saturday. The neck still has a ways to go. I'll glue on the headstock veneer tonight and that will be all for the night.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Sound good, but you need another camera!
Kevin Sjostrand

The crack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

The fix.......

I sprayed a coat of sealer last night and glued on the headstock veneer.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RnB

Post by RnB »

Good on fixing the crack. You can't even see it. On the top crack, when you open up the channel for the TR, it should not be an issue?
Kevin Sjostrand

Doing some pore filling with Timbermate.
I started spraying today. Got one coat of vinyl sealer, and two good coats of lacquer. I'm spraying Mohawk (Belhens) nitro, it has a slight amber color to it, which I think I like...adds some warmth to the finish.
I'll take some pictures tomorrow of the spraying. Just doing the body, the neck is not done yet.

Kevin