A new build, Santos Mahogany, Maple, and Spruce Dred

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A new build, Santos Mahogany, Maple, and Spruce Dred

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Here is the guitar sitting in it's case waiting for strings a setup. I'll put a few pics of the finished job when it is done.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Looks great Kevin!

What type of case did you go with and where did you get it?
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks Darryl,
I've been using TKL cases for these dreds. I got them from "Cases n More", but I think they changed their name to something else now. They were like, $80 with free shipping. A great case for the price. They may be cheaper now somewhere else. This is my last one so I'll need to purchase 3 or 4 again.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I'm having difficulty finding a 00 sized case for my current build. Most mfgs designate their Classical sized case as fitting a classical or 00 body......but they don't really fit a Martin sized 00 body.

I looked at a Guardian case but it has a 11 1/2" upper bout (00 is 10 7/8") and it had a 15" lower bout (00 is roughly 14 3/16" {from memory}). It's enough difference that I'm afraid the body would slide around in the case.

I may have to purchase a Martin case to get the correct fit. I don't necessarily mind that it would say "Martin" on it......it's just more expensive.
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

I strung er up last night, and finalized the set up (for now) today. Still a wee bit high at the nut, but medium action at the 12th fret. I did have a surprise though last night. You see, I put a Stewmac Hotrod truss rod in this one. I figured I'd give it a try. The first one I've used. It worked fine ouside the neck. I tested it both directions more than once, but I was not excited about the brass blocks used at the ends. When installed in the neck, it worked, but was not smooth turning.....like it was already gauling in the brass, but it did turn in both directions okay. I installed it pretty much the same as I have the LMI rods I've used in the past, which follows the Stewmac directions pretty much. So anyway, my neck is dead flat, and I took the tension off the rod when I attached the neck to the body, glueing the fretboard extension down too. So last night I though "I'll put a little relief in the fretboard before I set the action". I gave the rod about a 1/6th of a turn...it turned, but didn't do anything to the neck. I tried to turn it more, and it wouldn't budge so I put the pliers to the allen wrench, and............SNAP!
The nut broke right off...didn't even twist, just snapped at the weld. So, I have a non-adjustable stiffening rod in my neck (shhhhhh, don't tell anyone). The strings are up to concert pitch over night and the neck is still dead flat...so I may be okay for a while, maybe a long time!!! I'm expecting that neck to bow up someday. I'm giving this guitar to my pastor and he does't play much, and it will be close to home for a few years, so if I have to tear it apart some day, so be it. I was shocked, but didn't get mad. However, I will not use one of those rods again. I never had a problem with any of the LMI rods

Anyway, the guitar sounds great. This is my first stray away from Rosewood, and this guitar is much brighter than those have been, louder too I think. I made the neck a little bit wider at 1 3/4" and the string spacing is enough different that I stumbled a bit today playing it but soon found the nitch. I used Corian for the nut...thought I'd give it a try. Seemed a little bit softer than bone, but so far I like it. It is more self lubricating then bone and the strings seem to run smoothly in the slots.
We should get some pictures of it tomorrow and I'll post them up. I give it away a week from tomorrow.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

sorry posted twice
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Glad you got her strung up! Sure sorry to hear about the truss rod. That's a bummer!
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Well Darryl, Martin guitars had a solid rod up till 1985 so as long as the action is good and stays there for a many years I'm good with it.

I have another anomaly that showed up. It is hard to explain, but on the back there is what looks like it could be a crack along the grain in the wood about 3 inches long down in the lower bout area. Out from the edge about 3 inches or so, but it is under the finish. It appears in good light at an angle. Is is not in the finish but the area feels raised, not a ridge, more like an extremely slight hump. I put a light on the inside and no crack shows up there. Anyway, to be safe, I made a brace out of mahogany about 4" long, 1" wide and 1/8" thick and super glued it across the area on the inside of course. What ever is going on this should stabilize it. Can't see it unless you look through the sound hole at an angle and shine a light, and it doesn't look bad anyway.
I will be glad to be done with this one and start looking forward to the next build. Pictures later today and I'll get them posted.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Okay, here we go!
IN case you have forgotten, this is:
Santos Mahogany B & S
Sitka Spruce top
Quarter sawn maple bindings
Cocobolo rosette
Honduras Mahogany neck
Macasar ebony fretboard and bridge
Corian nut, bone saddle
Cheapo depot red tortise plastic pick guard.

I started this on sometime last winter.
Enjoy, and thanks for looking.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

.....and 3 more.

Kevin