A new build, Santos Mahogany, Maple, and Spruce Dred

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

A new build, Santos Mahogany, Maple, and Spruce Dred

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

My first side bending in the machine was for this guitar that is now started.
It is going to be a standard dred. Santos mahogany B & S, spruce top, curly maple binding, african mahogany neck.
The rosette will be wood, but not sure what I'll do there yet.
So the sides are bent, resting in the mold, and I have the back braces on, but not yet carved. I forgot to get a picture, will take that this weekend. I'm going to try and have this guitar and the walnut/redwood/koa OM both done by late spring so I can spray them both while the spray booth is set up. So the OM is sitting and waiting. I did start to work on one of the neck blanks I cut from a billet.
Lots more to come!

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Re: A new build, Santos Mahogany, Maple, and Spruce Dred

Post by johnnparchem »

Kevin, I am looking forward to watching this build progress. Keep up the pictures.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Ditto John's statement!
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

This will be a fun one. I will be giving it to my pastor next fall when they celebrate his 25th year at the church.
I won't complain if someone wants to give me big $$$$$ for my guitars, but it sure is fun planning and building one to give away, isn't it!!!
More pics to come soon

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

I got some work done this past weekend. It is slow going for me. I still after doing this 5 times have difficulty deciding the best way to glue in the end blocks; in the mold, out of the mold, pre-position with pins, etc, etc, etc.
Getting them square and on center takes some patience, especially with the radius already on the top and bottom of the blocks.
I think a jig may be in order; I'll have to give it some thought.

I did clean up the glue squeeze out, sand the inside of the rims, and the staining came off quite easily, so there was no issue there. Of course, I forgot to take a picture so I'll do that next time I'm in the shop.

The back braces are on, but not yet carved. I know they look crooked in the picture, but the are all perpendicular to the center strip and are straight in real life. I line them up with a machinists square, and double check while they are clamped in the go-bar deck to be sure they stay that way.

I put some shellac on a cut off of this mahogany, and it is going to be striking. I'm excited about how it may turn out.

I pre-profile the rims for the back contour, but I left them about 1/8" oversize so I need to plane them down and sand with the radius stick, then I'll start gluing on kerfing. I should get to work some on this on Christmas Eve day and the day after Christmas, but I must give my sweet wife lots of attention too! :>)

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

.....and the back

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The santos mahogany looks great. It is going to be a really nice looking guitar. I am like you with the end blocks not quite sure of the best way. On my koa parlor that I am working on I went for out of the mold, but I put the first two clamps on in the mold. With those clamps on I removed the mold giving me access for the clamps and the ability to see what was going on. It was weird with the sides flapping around, but it worked.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

On my first I glued both blocks on outside the rim. Didn't seem to hurt anything and gave good access for clamping. I think I read that Martin glues the blocks outside the rim.
Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I think you mean outside the mold . LOL Oldtimers gets ya every time
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Ha! Yep......that's what was in my head.......but not what came out my fingers!
Slacker......