First Build - 12 Fret

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
turnertj

First Build - 12 Fret

Post by turnertj »

Evening All...

I've been inspired by so many great projects on this forum that I started my own! It's been a while in the making, but after finishing the workshop, and picking up some new tools from John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars, I'm ready to move beyond the kit guitar. We'll see how this goes.

My plan is to make a 12-fret based on a Taylor Twelve Series - 12-squared? I'm using a sikta spruce soundboard with EIR back and sides with some koa binding.

My first step today was to joint and glue up my back. I'm not particularly good with a hand plane, and after some disasters on making a shooting board, I designed a jog for my router to use with a flush cut bit. It looks good, at least under the light box--nothing showing.

This is the first back I've glued up...so if I never post anything here again you'll know what happened!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tj Turner
Author, Scientist, bumbling Luthier
Author of Lincoln's Bodyguard
www.tjturnerauthor.com
Ken Hundley

Re: First Build - 12 Fret

Post by Ken Hundley »

That's about what my hand weights get used for too. When I feel like workin out.....I strap on the gloves and hit the heavy bag. Looks good so far, keep the pics comin.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I prefer arbor press weights to barbells and anvils, although I have been known to use an anvil now and then.
Good joining jig there.

Kevin
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

Thanks. I took some time to design some jigs for this build. After getting some quality tooling from John, it seemed a shame to have poor jigs around. And it worked! My back came out great tonight. The soundboard is in there right now!
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Those are nice looking jigs. I will look forward to watching your guitar progress. Keep up with the pictures.
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

Well I now have a jointed soundboard and back. The back seems like it came out nicer. I can see the glue line in the soundboard, but I hope that goes away when sanding down a little. I guess I had some glue come out, or when I wiped off the excess. The top pieces weren't the perfect bookmatch, so it was a little hard to get them lined up well...as a result I think even in the grain I'll be able to see the joint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I like the eccentric circular wedges -- clever! Just a couple of suggestions, if you use a thicker seam caul that has a warp bow or sanded to a taper on the ends to the center you'll not need the weights. Also you can cover the board and the seam caul with clear packaging tape (nothing sticks to it) and it will permanently eliminate the need to mess with wax paper.
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

Ken,

Thanks. Those are great suggestions, I'll be implementing both on the next go round.

Tj
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

kencierp wrote:I like the eccentric circular wedges -- clever! Just a couple of suggestions, if you use a thicker seam caul that has a warp bow or sanded to a taper on the ends to the center you'll not need the weights. Also you can cover the board and the seam caul with clear packaging tape (nothing sticks to it) and it will permanently eliminate the need to mess with wax paper.
That package tape works great. Also, if you use PSA sandpaper, the backing seems to be the same stuff as packing tape without the adhesive. Once I've peeled it off the back I save it for later use (provided it's long enough). If I run out I use the packing tape.
Tim Benware
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

If anyone wants better pictures of it to copy, just let me know.
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com