First Build - 12 Fret

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
turnertj

Re: First Build - 12 Fret

Post by turnertj »

So I polished up the epoxy filler today, and it seemed to go okay. There is still a little gap in there, so I will most likely try it once more, with less epoxy this time, to do the final fill.

Also, I worked on the fretboard. It only took me about an hour to fret my fretboard with an arbor press. I still have to sand it down in places, but I think it went okay. All the frets appear to be on the same level when examined with a straight edge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tj Turner
Author, Scientist, bumbling Luthier
Author of Lincoln's Bodyguard
www.tjturnerauthor.com
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

Making a little progress. I got the fingerboard fretted, though it still needs some polishing. Then I pre-finished up the neck! Cutting the lead ins for the slots on the slot-head was a pain. But I think I have it now.

I'm waiting for some z-poxy to show up, then I'll try pore filling!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

That's going to really fine. I'm enjoying following your progress.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Your headstock looks great TJ. Your fretboard extension lies nice and flat now.
Good job.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Nice job on the neck and headstock.
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

Well I've been busy trying to learn finishing techniques. I pore filled with Z-poxy, 3 times, and it looked pretty good at that point. I settled on French Polish (Freedom Polish?) for my first attempt out. I don't have a spray booth setup, so I thought I wouldn't gas out the kids and wife with lacquer or anything else on the first one, or I may never be allowed to make another! The FP is pretty benign that way. I got O'Brien's DVD on the method...and it was a HUGE help. And our own Johnparchem had some sage advice as well. That's the easiest procedure I found online for how to FP, and watching him do it really helps guide you through it. I only deviated by using ubeat shellac from LMI. It's supposed to setup and crosslink in a few weeks, making a more durable shellac finish.

But even with the DVD I messed up bad the first time out. It just looked bad on the back. So I brought it all down to the wood, put another layer of z-poxy on, and then re-started. I got the back done in one day...which is to say, I did 3 sessions, then leveled the finish with 1500 grit paper, then did another 3 sessions. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for this first attempt.
Last edited by turnertj on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

And here's my neck done with Tru-oil. I pore filled three times with z-poxy first, and then put on 2 coats of tru-oil.
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Looking good.
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

Thanks John...and thanks for all the advice on the FP! I think it's coming along okay.
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Very nice. Love the contrast of wood on the body.

Kevin