First Build - 12 Fret

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
tippie53

Re: First Build - 12 Fret

Post by tippie53 »

string gauge is as important as the bracing. I use almost all medium. As for feel , the guitar can feel as good as lights if you set it up right. In theory you want the nut slot to be in plane with the frets. I personally find that if you make a gauge with about .007 off the top of the plane of the 1st and 2nd fret you get pretty close
So in essence to do a proper set up you need to do things in a specific order
1st adjust the relief of the neck. with the string fretted at 1 and 13 the height off the 6th fret should be .004 to .010
2nd height at the 12th fret should be 2/32 at the 1st and 3/32 at the 6th.
3rd the string height off the 1st fret when you hold the string down on the 3rd side of the 2nd fret should just "tink" as Rick Davis calls it.
the clearance should be such that you don't see much space under the string and on top of the fret.
This is a good basic set up. I often hear early builder think the lighter gauges are the better way to go , but you will soon learn the lighter strings will have move movement in them . more intonation issues.
A good set up ,you can put on Meds do drop tunings with little buzzing. The more energy available to the guitar top the better it can work. When it comes to how a guitar feels it is all in the set up. take your time and learn to do them well.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
turnertj

Re: First Build - 12 Fret

Post by turnertj »

Absolutely! Thanks guys. I'll slowly get the setup right...but for right now I'm estatic that it sounds so much better! Mediums it is for right now.

Tj
Tj Turner
Author, Scientist, bumbling Luthier
Author of Lincoln's Bodyguard
www.tjturnerauthor.com