#1 in progress: cedar/mahogany medium jumbo scratch build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
nkwak

Re: #1 in progress: cedar/mahogany medium jumbo scratch buil

Post by nkwak »

You're not kidding about that first E chord. I made a quick and dirty recording of it already. It's not a song though: I strummed some chords at varying positions up the neck to check the intonation, played every note running up the fretboard looking for buzzes and then did the harmonic/natural note at the 12th fret again to check the intonation. The Snark tuner says that it's a little sharp at the 12th fret but my tin ear is satisfied and I know that there's still room for adjustment.

https://app.box.com/s/6k1pcobj1hpq9e14jbbh
~ Neil
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Sounds sweet Neil, really nice.
Congrats!

Kevin
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

It’s been a number of years since I completed this one and TBH it doesn’t get much play. The action has always been high and I’m not satisfied with the neck profile so I’m contemplating on removing the neck (it’s not glued on at all in anticipation of this probability) and tweaking things. Finally, I feel it turned out pretty good and for a cedar top it positively BOOMS in the bass but I feel like I need to tweak the nut too. It’s fortuitous that I’m nearing this part of my second build (finally!) so that I have the ability to contrast between the two guitars (which have nearly identical necks) and get a better general feel for the process through repetition.
~ Neil