Finished construction on my Koa Parlor Guitar.

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
RnB

Re: Back on track with my Koa Parlor Guitar.

Post by RnB »

Nice setup...! Do you still have to wait (cure time) w/ the waterbase material for final sand & polish? And...are the results the same you get w/ lacquer? I have a an HVLP gun, but never used it. After 40 years of cleaning spray rigs, I've only been using rattle cans...
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I find that I need to wait from 5 to 7 days before I do a final buffing. It takes me three days to spray, 4 coats each day. I only spray 8 coats on the top. I level sand after each 4 coats. Colortone WB gives very nice results. To be clear it is not nitro, but it is the closest I have found to the look. I like how well it levels as well. I like the feel and the results when I am finished. Not having the fumes is great!
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yeoussssa! John, that is beautiful. I'm glad that new gun is working out for you. A sweet setup!

Kevin
johnnparchem

Re: Finished spraying my Koa Parlor Guitar.

Post by johnnparchem »

I finished spraying the parlor guitar yesterday. I ended up with 16 coats on the back and sides with eight on the top and neck. I leveled every 4 coats. It only took a very light sanding the last two times I leveled. I actually polished out the neck as I finished spraying it last week. It was perfect but I cracked the finish a tiny bit pounding in the bushings. Oh well plenty of time to slowly build up a repair with the WB lacquer.

Omar_8200

Post by Omar_8200 »

It looks great!
Omar
- Mandolins and guitars constructed in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Boy did that headstock turn out sweet. What a nice guitar.
Now lets put it all together.

Kevin
RnB

Post by RnB »

That's some of the nicest Koa I've seen. Nice contrast against the black binding. Along w/ those flower inlays on the board....yum! I like to level between coats too. Makes it a lot easier in the end. BTW: what are those inlays called?

Post by   »

Man, I look at the photos you guys post and I become more envious of the quality of your work day by day.....

tommy
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks guys! Just a couple more days to buff it out

RnB I got the fret board inlays from Andy Depaule supply it is a Lotus pattern.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I am getting so close. I still need to glue on the bridge and make the nut and saddle. Today I polished the top, checked the neck angle before I glued it on. The neck angle ended up right where I wanted with the smallest bit of fall off. When I set the frets I ended up not having to sand them level and re-crown as the fretboard was dead level when I stared and the frets all set well. Ended for a this afternoon or I will start rushing.