Ditson cutaway

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
deadedith

Ditson cutaway

Post by deadedith »

The '30 day' Ditson from KMG is still not back from the sensitive artiste genius who is waiting for a personal appearance by the archangel Gabriel to give her a vision of what to paint, so I have time to start a new project.

Another Ditson but this time - gulp - with a cutaway. Ken Cierp did not bend the cutaway, at my request, so I will be doing that part of it and the appurtenances thereto.
The kit got here today, I attach a pic of the 3 piece back, dry, nothing wiped on it, just out of the box. It is glorious in person, but the mahogany center piece is washed out in the pic. But there will be more.

I've also attached a pic of the guitar that inspired me a few years ago; in fact, it was that guitar that I have been aiming at through this whole learning experience. It's a Bourgeois Martin Simpson slope dred cutaway, designed for fingerstyle. I owned one for awhile and loved it. Mine will be eir/mahogany with a sitka top, mahogany bindings and end wedge etc. It will be a fun challenge :-)
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Re: Ditson cutaway

Post by deadedith »

A link to the photobucket album for the Ditson cutaway build so far.
Back is braced; the top bracing is shaped and ready for gluing; the rosette is installed; the cutaway is being glued to the headstock.
I did buy a cheap vacuum press on approval - it works just fine, keeps the vacuum for at least 24 hours, easy to use and set up. Has a manual hand pump - I use my shop vac to get the bulk of the air out and then hand pump for 30 seconds or so and Bob's my uncle.
I'm using 1/4" braces a la D-35's, they are very light and I enjoy working with them.
I used CA for the rosette, Titebond original for everything else so far.
I am having a good time! :-)

http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... 20cutaway/
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Dave, nice looking rosette. I've only used abalone once but it sure ads sparkle.
Nice looking braces on the back too.

Kevin
Oval Soundhole

Post by Oval Soundhole »

I can't wait to see how this guitar looks, sounds really nice.
Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Hey Dave, nice looking rosette. I've only used abalone once but it sure ads sparkle.
Nice looking braces on the back too.

Kevin
Where is the pic of the rosette?
Rock over london. Rock on Chicago. Wheaties, breakfast of champions
Kevin Sjostrand

On his Photo bucket
Oval Soundhole

Post by Oval Soundhole »

sorry dave and kevin, I didn't see the link.
Last edited by Oval Soundhole on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rock over london. Rock on Chicago. Wheaties, breakfast of champions
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I just tried the provided link and the rosette is there. I'll attach it here too.

edit: the innermost ring is green fiber purfling, I wanted to try it and though the pic does not do it justice, it looks dang good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Catching up on a few pix. These first three are just the method I used to get the correct angle for the cutaway block. They are of course in reverse order because I'm dense.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

A few pix of today's work , all went well.
More pix at : http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... %20cutaway
Kevin Sjostrand

Dave,
That is a cool cutaway, sort of ala Breedlove? Looks alot easy to make the bends too.
Very nice.

Kevin