Ditson cutaway

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
deadedith

Re: Ditson cutaway

Post by deadedith »

Actually a la Bourgeois; he calls it a 'fallaway' cutoff - like in the pix I included in the first post of this thread - his slope-shouldered dred, a FINGERSTYLE dred! made for Martin Simpson. The bend was easy, though I may have made the cutaway a little larger than I had meant to. But I will be building more of these so the experience is all good. I'm really enjoying this one.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Rim prep this morning. I've attached pix with a little explanation for those that are not acquainted with how easy the KMG mega mold makes the process. I show just the top of the rim, but the 15' radius on the back is just as easy.
Fun!

Edit: I'm actually using the mega mold with an outside mold on this particular project. Normally I use the mega mold with the provided side supports which works just as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by deadedith on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Two more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Three pix - the back is ready to be glued on; the top braces are being sucked at the moment; nice lighting in the back yard.

Tomorrow the top gets glued early, the back gets glued later in the day.

I'm a little worried 'cause I have not yet shed blood on this one. :-)
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

dAVE,
THAT IS PURTY! Nice work.

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Thanks Kevin!
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Nice! That's going to be one sweet guitar when it is done.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Just a note concerning the vacuum bag kit I got from Roarockit.com - the 'thin air press'.

So far it has worked very well. It takes only a minute or less to get full vacuum - you can use your shop vac to pull out most of the air in about 10 seconds, then using the supplied hand pump for another 30 seconds or so and you are good to go. It makes a solid job of clamping, and holds that vacuum for at least 36 hours, which is as long as I have tested it.
Good for a production shop? Probably not. But for a guitar a month more or less, perfectly acceptable results.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Sidetracked on another project today. Ready to go tomorrow though!
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I love it!

Kevin