Winston # 1 - HD-28

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Winston_S

Re: Winston # 1 - HD-28

Post by Winston_S »

Thanks folks. It was certainly an experience that's for sure. Should have started doing this a long long time ago.

Label??? Oh oh. Totally forgot! Will add that when I change over the saddle and nut. :-)

Next in line is an L-00 from scratch. Of course it will be totally under the guidance of a local luthier so I don't make too big a mess out of it. :-)

One area I'm definitely going to work on is my finishing. I have no experience in that area at all and the finish on this guitar is weak to say the least. There's a couple of wood finishing courses coming up at Lee Valley in London I think I'll enroll in. They have an FP course in April that is being taught by a luthier, which I'm looking forward too as I really like FP.
Winston (Kip) Scoville
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

That turned out great. Looks like you finished in under 3 months. Not bad. Much faster than I'm going.
What's the saddle made of, it looks black in the picture.
Alain
Winston_S

Post by Winston_S »

Not exactly sure what its made of. Some kind of composite. John might be able to tell us.

I'm not sure of where I read this but I seem to recall someone talking about the material being used for these saddles also being used for making fret boards (possibly Gibson or Martin???).
Winston (Kip) Scoville
Woody OKeefe

Post by Woody OKeefe »

Nice job Kip, beautiful guitar. I agree the finish is one of the hardest things to master, I'm still working on it. Don't let these guys get to you, if you want to coil your strings do it! I don't coil my strings because it distracts the audience when I'm playing. Although that may be a good thing.
Congrats again and welcome to the 12 step program for Luthiers