Cuban Mahogany and Lutz Spruce 00

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Darryl Young

Re: Cuban Mahogany and Lutz Spruce 00

Post by Darryl Young »

I sure don't feel I've done a good job on the finish. I ran out of finish 1 coat shy of my goal. I'm wishing I hadn't used so much product for testing. Also, I sprayed a bit heavy in the slots of the slotted headstock and the finish ran out onto the headstock. After the compressor quit I got in too big a hurry and sprayed heavy enough I got a sag on top and a couple on the back. Anyone want to send your guitar to me to finish??? <smile>

Here is a shot of the guitar hanging in the spare half bath after spraying:

Slacker......
darren

Post by darren »

Hey Darryl,
are you shooting in the garage and bringing it inside to dry? what are your temps down there right now?
Darren
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I sprayed outside and brought the gun inside between sessions.......also hung the body/neck inside to dry between sessions.
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

After my compressor cut out I got in rush and did a poor job on that coat unfortunately. I have a sag on the back and the top and the sag around the slots on the headstock. I tried scraping off the most prominent protions and shipped out an area on the back. On the top, I sanded through in an adjacent area before I completely leveled the sag. This was probably because I didn't have enough finish and only had about 0.002" of finish on the guitar.

So long story short, I will sand down and respray the body. I might be able to salvage the finish on the neck, still debating. I think it will look fine, just worried about the durability of a thin finish on the neck.
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Sanding the neck down as well......bummer. Man this is fun!!! <smile>
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Stick with it Darryl, you'll be glad you got it right

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

No post on this thread in almost 2 years.......wow!

Well, I finally got to the bottom of my health issues. I was diagnosed with Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency. Affects your lungs and liver. It's genetic so all my siblings and kids had to be tested. Unfortunately, my youngest daughter also has it. At least her phenotype is SZ which is better than my phenotype (ZZ). Oh well, I take a weekly IV to give me the Alpha-1 protein for the rest of my life to stop the decline of my lungs. Nothing they can do for my liver but it may or may not be a problem later.

I almost have this guitar ready to try last coat of pore filling again. Only 2 years to get it ready, ha! I had a lot of problems with the Zpoxy for pore filling. I think I created my own issues by using old zpoxy that I had placed in the microwave several times to heat it before mixing and applying. It got where it would set up too fast and any little gouge by a squeege or credit card couldn't be leveled as it was already getting hard. I retried so many times I didn't pay attention and some of it oozed over the side and hardened without me noticing. So I had to resand the sides and even the top after re-sanding the back numerous times. Between being sick and being disheartened by the lack of progress, I got where I dreaded doing working on the guitar. The weekly IV is helping me and the doc said I could work on the guitar again if I'm very carful about wearing a dust mask while sanding.

I bought new bottles of zpoxy and hope it goes better. Cant go worse, ha.

Happy new year to everyone on the forum!
Slacker......

Post by   »

Hope your docs have you and your little one as good as new in a short time.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Hope your getting back on your feet. Glad to see you posting again
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Darryl,
I am sorry to hear of your illness, wasn't aware that you were struggling with this. Glad to hear that there is control of it now. It is so good to see your post and to know you're going to finish this guitar.
Glad you are back! God Bless.

Kevin