Finally starting the Walnut/Redwood and Koa OM.

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
RnB

Re: Finally starting the Walnut/Redwood and Koa OM.

Post by RnB »

Just a gorgeous looking wood. Well done...! I gotta make me a Koa guitar after seeing how your's & John Parchem's came out.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

It looks great Kevin! Great looking wood and nice job on the neck.
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

The wait was finally over. Three weeks hanging after the last sprayed coats and it is time to wet sand. I set up at just before 8am on Saturday morning and did the "wax on, wax off" all day long. Eight hours and still not done. But I love it!
I had a pretty smooth finish to start with, a little bit pebbly, 12 good heavy coats, so I decided this time to start with 1000 git paper. This way I would not introduce ANY heavy scratches that I might miss and have to go back and deal with later. This was a very good plan, but taking the finish down level is MUCH SLOWER. I finished the body and got most of the neck sanded.
Yesterday (Sunday) afternoon I worked on it some more, 3 more hours. I went over the body with 1500 grit, inspected, it looked great, so I started putting some 2000 grit to it....then some spots started to show up that you could only see held up to the light once the surface started to polish a bit and I had to go back to the 1000 grit on it. You know those things in the finish that shouldn't be there...these little tiny specks. Anyway I got those out execpt for a couple of "so small you almost can't see them" holes.....dang. I don't think I can sand any further in these spots. I decided that 2000 grit is going to be overkill so I've finished up with 1500. It looks pretty level and smooth and I am pleased. I inspected it under 3 different light sources. I didn't get pics yet of this stage, I'll try and remember to take some tonight. I will start polishing on Wednesday night. Can't wait to get it all shiney!

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Started the polishing tonight. Got it done except for a little spot at the edge of the cheek on the neck I started to sand through so I've brushed on a couple of coats of lacquer there to wet sand tomorrow, and I'll hand polish that area.
I use SurBuf pads on my RO sander, using a speed controller to slow it down. I start with 3M rubbing compound, then go to Novus #2, then buff with a clean pad. It looks real good. Some very slight rippling on the top, but not much. It is so hard to get perfectly flat when block/wet sanding. I would love to try the RO sander on the finish for leveling on the next one to get it really flat, but the darn sand paper loads up so fast.
Anyway, it is shiney!!! This weekend I hope to install the tuning machines, attach the neck (the fretboard extension will be glued down), and get the bridge glued on. Then during the week next week I'll work on the nut, saddle, install a JJB passive triple transducer pickup and hopefully by the next weekend be stringing it up. I plan to ship it on June 4th.
Here are some pics after finishing tonight, wish they were better!!

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

....and 3 more pics.

Kevin
darren

Post by darren »

Very nice! Do you clean off the polishing compounds at the bridge and fb extension somehow?
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The body looks great. I am l really like how the koa worked with the Walnut.
Kevin Sjostrand

Well that post went to luu luu land.....clicked submit apparently at the exact same time as you John. I hate it when that happens.
Anyway, Darren I do scrape those areas clean with a razor blade. I may next time not mask, spray, and scrape off the lacquer and see how much work that is. I don't like getting these bare areas wet when wet sanding, and it happens. I have a slight discoloration in two spots around where the bridge goes from I think moisture...not good. The bridge will cover them, but it is a sign that I probably got too much water there....I tried to be careful!!!!!

John, the Koa and Walnut is a wonderful contrast, and works together very well. I will repeat that combo.

I just bolted the neck on loosely and I will have some minor cheek flossing to do, but otherwise it looks good.

Kevin
Jackspt28

Post by Jackspt28 »

Beautiful Job, Where do you buy your wood already thicknessed and bent? Thanks Jack.
Kevin Sjostrand

Hi there Jack,
I bend my own sides! I also have a drum sander for thicknessing, and a safe-t-planer to take it down to use the sander. This B & S set came from a guy on Ebay.
My first guitar was a kit from LMI, since then I've built them from scratch....this is #5 and #6 is half done.

I now have the neck attached, bridge attached with bridge pins fit, saddle shaped and fit, tuning machines installed, nut fit, not yet slotted, JJB Artist passive pickup installed. The label is made but not yet glued in. After the label, this baby is ready for some strings.
Hope to put them on tonight and start setting the action. SCARY!

Kevin