2nd kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
SKBarbour

2nd kit

Post by SKBarbour »

I started my 2nd kit a couple of weeks ago. Its a KMG 000. couldn't be happier with the kit or Kens customer service. I finished the rim a few days ago and decided to move on to the rosette. The rosewood rosette that came with the kit is nice looking but i wanted to add somethine to it so I decided I was going to add a abalone ring to the middle of the ring. This would also give me a chance to try out that wells carol circle cutter i made for my router. I made a jig to fill the sound hole since it was already cut out. realizing quickly that the small bits I had were all 1/8" shanks I adapted a dremel guide that i had to a wells carol type cutter as well so now i have the cutter for both my router and dremel. after doing a couple of test cuts i went to town on the rosette that i already glued into the sound board. a little nerve racking but it came out pretty well ( i think).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
David L

Re: 2nd kit

Post by David L »

Looks good! Is that Dremel a 300 series?

David L
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Turned out great SKB! (be glad to use your first name if I knew it)
Slacker......
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

thanks for all the nice comments and also for not mentioning that the abalone is not centered in the rosette. I still think it looks pretty good. David the dremel is a 400 xpr but I really couldn't tell you if there is much of a difference from the 300 to the 400 series. Why do you ask?
kyle
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Kyle,
I didn't even notice!! :>)
Actually I tend to like touches like that which draw the eye a bit.

Kevin
David L

Post by David L »

Kyle, just curious, when I was looking to get a Dremel I read reviews on a lot of different models and several people said that thier 400 burned up after a very short time (something about not having proper venting). I went with the 300 and I ran it for 30 to 40 minutes straight without it heating too much. Let us know how your's does.

David L
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

david I bought this one about 2 years ago with no problems so far. my amount of use is limited to just a few minutes at a time except for the inlay work that I did on my first kit and that didn't really give it much run time at once. If I ever have any problems with this or any other tools I may use I'll be sure to let you all know.
kyle
David L

Post by David L »

That's good to hear. I was going to get the 400 but when I read the reviews I changed my mind and went with the 300. Glad to hear it's a non-issue for you!

David L
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

oops ....just noticed that one of the cross bars developed a gap against the top. looked good during the dry fit not sure what happened. fortunately it is the cross brace that is seated on top of the other so hopefully i can remove it without disturbing the other.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
David L

Post by David L »

Thanks for showing that. I'll be sure to watch for that on my next brace-up.

David L