2nd kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Darryl Young

Re: 2nd kit

Post by Darryl Young »

Yeah, I would definitely repair that Kyle. Good catch!
Slacker......
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

managed to get the cross brace off wihout a problem. no other braces were affected so hopefully when I receive the new brace I can fit it back in and glue it up with no problems. until then I'll work on the back being more careful not to have gaps. The best thing about mistakes is that your less likely to do it again. Yup, less likely cause nothing is definate.
kyle
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

all right so I figured out what the problem was. I had a nice tight glue joint at the cross. apparently too tight , while it fit great without the glue when you add the glue the joint gets a little tighter. I know this now because it almost happened agin this time . fortunately I caught it quick enough that i was able to remove the brace , clean the glue off and recheck the joint. after opening things up a little bit it glued together great. I'm glad I figured out the problem cause now I know for sure what to look for from now on.
kyle
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

I have made some progress and it's going well since my cross brace mishap.Thanks again to Ken at KMG for the great customer service and providing me with a replacement brace so quickly. At this point the side top and back are assembled waiting to have the top binding channels routed. I decided to do some abalone purfling on the top but didn't have the router bearing I needed to get the depth required. Stew mac only sells bearings to cut up to s .210" ledge and I needed .220" . It took some searching but I found the right bearing. Hopefully I can get this done this weekend. here are some pictures of some of my progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SKBarbour on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyle
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

heres a few more pics. I decided to use binding with laminated purfling but was a little ......alright I'll say it ,scared to bend the waist on figured maple bindings. So I made up a bending form with some scrap from the garage and this, well I'm not sure what to call it but it worked!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
David L

Post by David L »

Good to see you making progress!

David L
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

a few more pics of my progress
kyle
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

That looks really good! Clean, attractive, just right. I'm enjoying watching the progress.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

very nice. You should be very proud .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

good looking work. I really like how the purflings worked out on the sides.