2nd kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
David L

Re: 2nd kit

Post by David L »

Looking really, really nice!

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Kyle,
Your binding/purfling job looks really clean, very professional job.

Kevin
David L

Post by David L »

Kyle, I know that's a KMG supplied top, what is it specifically? I really love that striping thing going on, it really adds "character"!!!

David L
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

thanks.....David L the top is engleman.
kyle
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Well, haven't done much recently with the guitar. Still have some finishing touches to do on the neck and fretboard but is mostly done. Bound the FB with some ebony. not a very noticeble feature but looks pretty nice. Other than that and the inlay work on the headplate and FB thats about all I've done. I seem to slow down when finish work reaches the horizon. Currently debating back and forth between using the rest of the KTM-9 from my first kit and Tru oil. Will be doing test panels soon to help make that decision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

decided to try the KTM9 after coming up with this test piece. Not a perfect finish but much better than I was expecting.Started pore filling with Zpoxy on Friday hope to get one more thin coat on before starting the finish.Hope it goes as well as the practice run. Slow goings on this one but starting to come together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Test panel is nice and shiny!

Do you brush or spray the KTM-9? If you are brushing, are you using a retarder?
My poorly maintained "Blog"
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

brushing on the KTM9 right from the can using one of those cheap foam brushes from the craft store. Tried using the poly brush suggested in the brushing directions on the LMI site but think the foam brush works better. No retarder used.
kyle
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

brushing seems to work great. I already had the KTM9 from the first guitar.
kyle
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

sanding the last coat of Zpoxy on the neck tonight and I'll be ready to start brushing on the laquer. If the weekend doesn't get too busy maybe by Monday or tuesday I'll have the finish on. Guess it's time to narrow down my ideas for my next project and get it going.
kyle