New Dreadnaught

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
jread

Re: New Dreadnaught

Post by jread »

Looking good! I've just started a similar body.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Just lovely. A good reinforcement to work patient, be neat, measure twice and enjoy the ride. Maybe even learn something along the way, too.
peter havriluk
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

Here’s the latest.

Finished the end wedge, binding and purfling.

I just started clearing out the dovetail mortise. I’d be curious to know how other people do this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I can’t wait to see the finished instrument, that’s gonna be a good looking guitar! Thanks for posting your progress.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

An update.

I fitted the neck.

I took some burl wood and made a veneer for the headstock. Didn’t know if I could slice that big a piece of burl on the band saw thin enough and without the burl falling apart. Cut it in the range of 0.080-0.100”, then sanded it thinner and more uniform. Jointed the edges and glued them. Then, because the burl had cracks and gaps, filled them with ebony dust and CA. Seemed ok, so I glued it on the headstock.

Also tried a little piece of burl for the heel cap.

Lots of mishaps along the way. For example, when I glued the heel cap, I ended up with a gap between the heel cap and upper bout. So, I had to glue on a little piece of burl to fill the gap then sand it flush with the shoulder of the neck joint. (You can see the little splice in the inset photo.)

Also, did the fingerboard inlays, and registered and glued the fingerboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

What kind of burl, John? The light color makes nice contrast to back and sides.
I've had luck stablizing burls and spalted wood (Manzanita, Oak,Yew, Black walnut) by poring clear casting epoxy over them (the kind used for table or bar tops). I think Diane has used the material to make tortoise shell appearing pickguards. How about burl pickguards? I'm trying one soon :-).
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

I think birch. Here’s a couple photos of the tree. Please tell me if you think it is something else.

For my purposes, a good-sized burl. I also cut out a few small blocks for my brother to use as reel seats in his bamboo rods.

Yes, I’d very much like to try it as a pick guard in the future.