My first build - OOO kit from Blues Creek

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
daviddrazen

Re: My first build - OOO kit from Blues Creek

Post by daviddrazen »

Thanks to both of you, this info is super helpful. I’m just amazed that I live in an era where there is a such a helpful community accessible.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I will add one thing: I use a rotary tool as Diane illustrates, in a base, set to a fixed depth, to rout the pockets for the braces. One advantage that I don't think was mentioned is that it's easier then to pare down brace ends individually to the correct depth as you go around the rims finessing the fit. Bruce W.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've used the inlay tool as well as my laminate router. Both work equally well. So, if you don't have a rotory tool, just use your router.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
daviddrazen

Post by daviddrazen »

I appreciate the suggestion to finesse the brace ends to fit after routing out the pockets. I happened to own a full sized router, a compact router, and a Dremel prior to taking on the kit. I ended up getting a base for the Dremel for the brace notching, but will use the compact router for when I rout the binding and purfling channels.

I just got back from being out of town for work, so I'm hoping to set aside some time this week to work on this. The pictures and other responses are very helpful as well.