First kit build - Martin dred

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: First kit build - Martin dred

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're doing great. I fp all of my guitars and it is a learning curve, to be sure. I've used Aquacoat for years, with the exception of West Systems 2 part epoxy when there's checking. The secret to getting those pores filled, is to seal the wood. I like to use a 1# cut shellac to seal.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

The guitar is now finished. I need to get some better photos, but the weather here today is very cloudy, so maybe tomorrow I can. For my first guitar, I'm very happy with how it turned out. it is very easy to play, and it does sound fantastic. I need to play it side by side with my D28 to compare (the D28 has straight bracing and I scalloped this one, but they have the same tone woods so I'm interested). I'll be taking it along with my factory D28 to my lesson next week to play with my instructor and compare.

I did learn a bunch of things. First, I will finish the guitar after attaching the neck next time. I think it will look and fit better, and there really isn't any reason not to. The french polish ended up looking fantastic.

I need to learn how to sand the sides and back without damaging the bindings. The rosewood really stained the bindings and this led to a ton of scraping. While it looks good, I could have done a much better job. I'm not sure how yet, but I'll be spending time reading and asking questions.

My setup is great. I screwed up filing the nut the first time. I filed too deep (ham handed and trying to finish the guitar), so I had to order a new nut ($5) and wait 4 days for it to arrive. After watching a bunch of YouTube videos and being much more deliberate and careful, I think it worked out well. After then removing some of the bottom of the saddle, I have a nice, low action and a guitar that plays very easily.

This has been a great experience overall. My next guitar? Likely something with more exotic woods. I'm not sure. I have most of the tools now and some experience, so who knows what will be next. All I know is there will definitely be a next. Thanks to all of you who helped along the way. Hopefully some better glamour shots tomorrow.

John Reid

Post by John Reid »

Wow! That's beautiful!
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Good job! You definately need an inlayed logo for the head stock veneer!!👍👍
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

BlindBo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:15 pm Good job! You definately need an inlayed logo for the head stock veneer!!👍👍
I definitely need something! It looks very plain.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Super job. She looks like a Martin.
We knew there'd be a next one!!!! 😀
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Wow!! Great job, it looks clean as a whistle. Stunning instrument! Thanks for sharing.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City