Symmetrical X-braced OM 12-string

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Stray Feathers

Re: Symmetrical X-braced OM 12-string

Post by Stray Feathers »

It took me a long time to get this guitar together, mostly because I was pondering how to lay out the string spacing at saddle and nut, and I wanted to have all strings passing from nut to tuners without touching anything else. When I was drilling tuner holes (10 mm for Stew Mac Golden Age) I goofed (a combination of aging eyes, poor light at the drill press and sloppiness) and got some out of line. I had to plug the holes on one side but plug cutters don't work because they are tapered, so I ordered a 10 mm dowel cutter from Amana which worked well to cut dowels to go all the way through the walnut headstock. Then I remeasured (18 times . . .) and redrilled. I thought I might have to cut wenge plugs to match the headplate but only one was possibly visible so I didn't do that. In the end it may show a tiny bit so I stained it dark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

With the guitar assembled and good weather I started the finishing. I described in the finishing section problems with pore filling, but for the record, here is the guitar after six coats of Mohawk lacquer, time for drop filling and so on. You can see the Wenge headplate still has grain issues after five coats of filler; not sure yet how much I can do but I'll see. Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I am setting up this guitar and have discovered that the headstock is a little thick. I had bought Golden Age small button tuners from SM and I find the nuts sitting above the point where the post starts to curve inward where the strings wrap. I might gain a little height if I used the washers upside down and reamed out the holes a tad (where it would be hidden by the washer), but I don't know what harm that might do. I would be happier if the posts were longer. After a lot of searching I found almost nothing longer in any brand. Schaller makes a mini with an available longer post but it would only gain me a millimetre or less (and at great expense). Then I thought about Gotoh height adjustable tuners. I could find few comments about them, with some saying the extra adjustment made them sloppier. Has anyone used these height adjustable tuners? Bruce W.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

A couple of thoughts....

(1) thin the back of the neck, Local refinishing needed, but considering the alternatives....
(2) and this is sporty: countersink the washers/nuts that fasten the tuners....

Left to me, I'd try #1 first. If it didn't work out cleanly, the back of the headstock could get a veneer.

Again if left to me, I wouldn't want to mess with the hardware.

Please keep us posted.

(My 12-string project worked out wonderfully. Little dreadnaught (same size as Martin Junior), 12 frets to the body, 24" scale length, fits in a 'classical' size gig bag. Fun part about making your own, they're just not commercially available.)
peter havriluk
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Peter - I should have mentioned that I have considered thinning the back of the headstock but it's something I am reluctant to do, partly because there is a sort of volute on the neck, and also because it is tricky to set up to use a Safe-T-Planer (as it happens I have both a Stew Mac copy and an original) while bracing or balancing the rest of the guitar. I would also rather not get back into finishing but I may have to. I could countersink the hardware but it would end up looking repaired I think. Unless I could find countersunk washers or something perhaps.

I also should have mentioned that I have not yet screwed the tuners in place, just fitted them to check alignment. So I could use any tuner that fits a 10mm hole, and save these for a future guitar (with a . . . ahem . . . thinner headstock . . . ) After sleeping on it I am inclined to take a chance on the Gotoh adjustable height tuners, but I'd appreciate comments from anyone with any experience with them.

Finally, congratulations on finishing your twelve-string; did you post images here that I missed?
Bruce W.